BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
The convertible market is moving on and it will be increasingly difficult for BMW to compete against the SL et al with a rag-top instead of a hard-folding roof.

Tom

·
Moderator Emeritus
866 Posts
bernhtp said:
The convertible market is moving on and it will be increasingly difficult for BMW to compete against the SL et al with a rag-top instead of a hard-folding roof.

Tom
That hasn't stopped Aston Martin et al...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I asked the dealer about the lack of a folding hard top when the 645Ci came out over a year ago. He said something like that would make the car much heavier and the E63 chassis is that of a large coupe, which at the time "didn't suit a large coupe"; whatever that actually meant.

My bet is wait for the new 3 series convertibles.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The standard cleats behind the doors for when you dock?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
M6 Forever said:
He said something like that would make the car much heavier and the E63 chassis is that of a large coupe, which at the time "didn't suit a large coupe"; whatever that actually meant.
The ragtop adds most of 400lbs if I remember correctly. For the M6, it would be more given a larger difference relative to the lighter CF roof. Would a steel roof be more than another 100lbs or so, and what difference would it make at that point?

My bet is wait for the new 3 series convertibles.
That will likely be my next convertible. I hope they advance hardtp convertible technology to deal with some of the weight and stiffness issues.

Tom

·
Registered
267 Posts
Not sure about world wide but at least in the US market the ragtop 6er is outselling the coupe by 2:1. It is not unpleasing to look at with the top up, but down it is a stunning cabrio. Hard top or no, the M6 cabrio will sell well here.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have an SL500 and to me it is a better looking car than the 645 convertible. The hood treatment on the M5 convertible looks like an old Jaguar XJS. I do not need the performance in a convertible, and will definitely stay with my decision on the M6 coupe, because it is more comfortable at speed. I am never going to be running hard with the top down....
I do like the convertible with the top down..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts