BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share this one:

SPY SCOOP: THESE are the very first pictures of the future Porsche 911 Carrera – snapped by our spies a few days ago at the German race and test track Nürburgring.

It looks like the current 911 Carrera – but it is the next generation car. Under the cleverly disguised body, the prototype carries the complete new mechanics including new engines and new chassis.

If you study the pictures closely you’ll recognize the hoods placed over the front and rear wings, disguising the true shape of the new car. However, yet today it is clearly visible that the next generation 911 will get circular headlamps while flashers and fog lights will be mounted in the bumper rather than built into the headlight units.

After strong critics for the shape of the headlights of the current 911, Porsche is returning to the conventional, typical 911 front for the new model.

Like their predecessors, 911 and Boxster are developed in combination and will again share major components, although the design will feature much more distinguishing marks compared to the two current models – the close relationship of which was regarded as a big mistake in the beginning of the era of the Boxster.

SPY VIDEO - click at the video icon at the button of the page. This video is free for every body - in the feature-section you will find a 1 minute and 2 sec. long version video from Nürburgring - this one open for every one subscribing to sportscartesting.com.

Source:
http://www.sportscartesting.com/news/porsche/id434/pg1798

Let me know if you cant see the video, it might require that you log on.

I just LOVE the picture of the '05 911 Carrera.. those lines are awesome! :eek:

cheers
Anders Rask
Denmark

·
Registered
679 Posts
AAARRG ! You beat me to it
That's what I got. The out put fig for the new turbo may seem low but we are still far away from the date so it may change....

The next generation Carrera, due for presentation in 2005 and hence a year after the new Boxster, will be yet another evolutionary step in the development of the original design of the 911 with all design-elements being interpretations of the known theme:headlights, roof-line, rear wings and rear side windows clearly define the new coupe as a true successor of the current 911, but much more
of the 911s built before today’s generation.

Power will continue to come from a 3.6-litre 6-cylinder Boxer in the rear, then delivering around 335 HP in the normally aspirated Carrera and some 440 HP in the Turbo. Cabrio and Targa, Turbo and GT-versions will be introduced later.

Cheers;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I like the picture where the driver-front wheel is actually off the track! Looks like 20's or 19'?

I also like the fact porsche is going back to their original round head lights ... IMHO it's better looking than the 996.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For non members heres the full article, i think most of the pictures are on the "free section":

1. 2005 911 at der Nordschleife

Do not be fooled by the common look of this Porsche. It looks like the current 911 –but it is the 2005 911 Carrera tested today at the German track of Nürburgring.

Unveiled at sportscartesting.com Monday September 9, 2002 with tech spec and pictures and again Tuesday September 10 with video.

At the start page you will find the free short version, next page you will find the 1 minute and 2 sec. full-length video from the most serious test track in the World.

FACTS
· Next generation Porsche 911 Carrera
· Spy pictures and video
· Coupé, Cabrio and Targa bodies
· Carrera, Turbo and GT versions
· Rear-engine, rear-wheel drive
· 3.6-litre 6-cyl. boxer
· 335 HP in normal-aspiration engine
· 440 HP in turbo version

2. No worry - still the good old rear-engine

THE FIRST PROTOTYPE of the future Porsche 911 Carrera. Under the cleverly disguised body, the prototype carries the complete new mechanics including new engines and new chassis. If you study the pictures closely you’ll recognize the hoods placed over the front and rear wings, disguising the true shape of the new car. However, yet today it is clearly visible that the next generation 911 will get circular headlamps while flashers and foglights will be mounted in the bumper rather than built into the headlight units. After strong critics for the shape of the headlights of the current 911, Porsche is returning to the conventional, typical 911 face for the new model.

LIKE THEIR PREDECESSORS, the coming 911 and Boxster are developed in combination and will again share major components, although the design will feature much more distinguishing marks compared to the two current models – the close relationship of which was regarded as a big mistake in the beginning of the era of the Boxster.

The new 911 Carrera, due for presentation in 2005 and hence a year after the new Boxster, will be yet another evolutionary step in the development of the original design of the 911 with all design-elements being interpretations of the known theme: headlights, roof-line, rear wings and rear side windows clearly define the new coupe as a true successor of the current 911, but much more of the 911s built before today’s generation.

Power will continue to come from a 3.6-litre 6-cylinder Boxer in the rear, then delivering around 335 HP in the normally aspirated Carrera and some 440 HP in the Turbo. Cabrio and Targa, Turbo and GT-versions will be introduced later.

Enjoy!

Anders R
Sorry Vince5, didnt mean to beat u up like that ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looks really good...! :haha2:

But there isn't much dirrefent from the current model, but thats probably their goal to hide it as much as possible until the release.

// Daniel :typing:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Anders R
Sorry Vince5, didnt mean to beat u up like that ;-) [/B][/QUOTE]

hiha

Agreed on the round head lights :thumbsup:

Porsche may have a marketing problem with cars like the new AMG's and Audi's and coming M bimmers that make short work of the Carrera on straight line acceleration. Hard to compete with a flat six.

Off course on a track it's not the same and you can tune the Porsches to very high numbers and the feel of quality of a Porsche is something else (oups this is a M5 board:confused3 ) so this is mainly a "marketing on HP" issue !

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Vince5 said:
[B
Agreed on the round head lights :thumbsup:

[/B]
i kinda like the 996 headlights, i think they look much better than the 993 (don't throw anything at me :D) but looks like this 2005 model has the round lights combined with the look of the 996 with the clear light fading in towards the hood. So you get the round lights of the 993 and get the newer light look of the 996. its a good compromise.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Where did you see this?

bobafett said:
Anyone notice the quad exhaust pipes?

--Dan

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The front end reminds me of the 959 - nice touch mmmmmm

Ashok
2002 Carbonblack/Caramel

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
humm sorry... but i dont like the looks as much... I like the current one more... the front is too squashed... and why go back to the circular lights? zzzzz hmmm

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
I like it..and I was always wondering when the new 997 would be out so it seems 2005 release date? Which means a 2007 turbo date?

all the best
adam

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
its good that there going back to there roots with the round head light !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts