BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you guys running a sprint booster with an ECU tune (e.g., Evolve, etc.)?

I just installed the Evolve Alpha-N Stage 2 tune, and removed my sprint booster (per Evolve recommendations). However, I've been thinking about putting it back on.

Any pros or cons with running the sprint booster with the tune?

Thanks in advance! :M5launch:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I have my sprint booster with an evolve tune it works just fine!

Reactions: DocsV10

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Set to "green" or "red"?
Always set to green. Last time I switched it to red was a few times right after I bought it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OOooooo....fantastic timing with this thread, Doc! I've been wondering the very same thing (whether keeping my SB installed will prove to be a double entendre or if it will work with a tune), as I just got an Evolve Stage 1 tune for my 2010 M5. I have rarely used my SprintBooster since just after installing it, since just keeping it on "green" makes my MPG take a major dive. I'm really hoping this won't happen with a tune installed, either.

So yeah, good question:

Set to "green" or "red"?
Edit: LOL...nevermind. Someone's fingers must be more awake than mine, since you answered it before I could post.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Always set to green. Last time I switched it to red was a few times right after I bought it.
I did the opposite; I always had mine set to "red" when I first got it. In "M" mode it was pretty aggressive and I'd get the "jerky" takeoff it if I wasn't careful.

I'll most likely set it to "green" with the tune.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OOooooo....fantastic timing with this thread, Doc! I've been wondering the very same thing (whether keeping my SB installed will prove to be a double entendre or if it will work with a tune), as I just got an Evolve Stage 1 tune for my 2010 M5. I have rarely used my SprintBooster since just after installing it, since just keeping it on "green" makes my MPG take a major dive. I'm really hoping this won't happen with a tune installed, either.

So yeah, good question:

Edit: LOL...nevermind. Someone's fingers must be more awake than mine, since you answered it before I could post.
The main concern that came up (with running the sprint booster with an ECU tune) was that the throttle actuators may prematurely fail.

I've never had a problem with the throttle actuators thus far, so naturally I'm slightly hesitant to reinstall the sprint booster.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
I have both installed and always set to red.....you never know when it may be required :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have both installed and always set to red.....you never know when it may be required :)
Haha.. Love it! :M5launch:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Are any of you guys running a sprint booster with an ECU tune (e.g., Evolve, etc.)?

I just installed the Evolve Alpha-N Stage 2 tune, and removed my sprint booster (per Evolve recommendations). However, I've been thinking about putting it back on.

Any pros or cons with running the sprint booster with the tune?

Thanks in advance! :M5launch:

Haha great question.....I was gonna ask the same thing.
I've just enquired about Evolve stage 1 tune high octane (old stage 2 tune apparently) and they suggested that the SB will cause throttle actuator problems and it should be removed.
I have asked if it should be removed if you get there tune or should it be removed full stop?
I like my SB (always set on red) and it would be a shame with having to remove it. I don't want it to have to replace the throttle actuators down the track......

Doc, is the Alpha N worth the extra $$$. What does it do?

T

·
0 Posts
I have sprinter booster on red and an evolve tune on my m6. They work great together.

Sprint booster works great with anything, probably makes even a lawn tractor better

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

T

·
0 Posts
I have never heard of a sprint booster ruining a actuator. I always keep my cars on p500s so I don't necessarily have to worry about the throttles moving anyway I guess.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha great question.....I was gonna ask the same thing.
I've just enquired about Evolve stage 1 tune high octane (old stage 2 tune apparently) and they suggested that the SB will cause throttle actuator problems and it should be removed.
I have asked if it should be removed if you get there tune or should it be removed full stop?
I like my SB (always set on red) and it would be a shame with having to remove it. I don't want it to have to replace the throttle actuators down the track......

Doc, is the Alpha N worth the extra $$$. What does it do?

I decided to go with the Alpha-N because I wanted to eliminate the MAF sensors. The Alpha-N is Evolve's most popular tune, so that's what I considered when I bought it. Now, I'm uncertain about the power gains with the Alpha-N vs. non-Alpha-N tune but I'd venture to say that their pretty similar. I have learned that going with the Alpha-N results in enhanced throttle response.

Perhaps Evolve can elaborate on this some more.

I'm still in the "adaptation" period; so once my ECU adapts to the new tune, I'll drive it more aggressively and come back and post my experience.
:M5launch:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts