BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

As previously discussed on these the below two threads, I've reached an agreement with PartsExporter to give us a group buys on the Sprint Booster.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=98290&highlight=sprint+booster

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=103867&highlight=sprint+booster

PartsExporter usually sells the unit for $300 including shipping but with the Group Buy, we can get it for $250 including shipping for 10 or more units.

Here's the link to the group buy website that the vendor set up for us:

http://www.partsexporter.com/e60/

For any questions, please contact them directly at [email protected]

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't look like there's much interest on this forum for the SB but I thought I'd give an update anyway.

The vendor informed me that he's sold 10 units to people on E60.net. He still has 9 left and will keep the group buy open until he sells all of them or until the end of Oct, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I think the Sprintbooster is a great addition to a 55 motored AMG, as it takes a second or so for the SC clutch to fully engage, which causes some lag. The Sprintbooster basically eliminates this.

However, I'm not sure I see the benefit in a NA car. I foresee black tailpipes and worse fuel economy in day to day situations, with no upside at WOT.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a five minute installation. You remove one screw from the accelerator, lift up the pedal, unplug it and plug this cable in between.

I have the SB with my RDSport software and it works just fine.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Saw that you got the answer on that thread already: auto version for the SMG.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey Tony,

Every time I consider a mod, I think I may be doing something counter-intuitive to what BMW designed...

With that said, you mentioned early in the thread on e60.net that it tricks the car into thinking the throttle is partially depressed. If this is indeed the case do you notice any ILL side effects in how the SMG responds to your throttle input (i.e. thinking your foot is on the throttle when it is not).

See I feel that the SMG looks to your throttle input to determine how to respond (i.e. to rev up to match the revs if you still have your foot on the throttle).

Another example is when rolling to a stop in second if I keep my foot off the throttle and then put it down into first the clutch will not release thus continue to roll to a stop. If I leave my foot on the throttle at all it will release the clutch and clank into first gear.

So I am hoping it does not really trick the car in regard to your throttle position but rather just improves the response. I really think it is important for the SMG to know what you are intending to do with your shift input by analyzing where the throttle is when you input the shift.

Did you notice the SMG responding more abruptly at times or clanking into gears more than normal or anything?

So here I sit again with the other web page opened ready to buy and over analyzing the mod. Maybe I am getting to old for mods or something, HaHa.

Took me a month to finally install my RPI scoops...

I went for a drive in your car and am convinced I will be o.k. with springs and definitely want the Dinan sway bar, etc. Now, I'll have to drive your car -j.k. I actually want to place the order now. I guess if I do not like it I can just eat the 245 bucks, but sure I will like it based on others responses.

I think I just dig enough to find a reason to worry. I am hung up on this mod by only this one comment in this post.

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45480&view=findpost&p=476988

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey John,

Ever the skeptic. :7:

I have a simple solution. I'll lend you my SB for a few days and you can try it out before ordering. Maybe meet up tomorrow or during the week and then you can give it back to me next Friday at the Cajun Crab House meet. Or maybe we'll meet up and you drive my car around a bit to also feel out the suspension mods too. Call me.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hey John,

Ever the skeptic. :7:

I have a simple solution. I'll lend you my SB for a few days and you can try it out before ordering. Maybe meet up tomorrow or during the week and then you can give it back to me next Friday at the Cajun Crab House meet. Or maybe we'll meet up and you drive my car around a bit to also feel out the suspension mods too. Call me.
Tony,

You are too nice of a guy! I might have to change my screen name to ETS:hihi: and then I can also have an acronym like you and VT.

I would feel bad taking you up on that offer and do not know if it would help me fight my ailment. I am think I might just order it without anymore thought as to not contribute to my madness anymore. Kind of wierd that you have to use the automatic module on the SMG seeing it is a manual transmission, but maybe that is how it does not cause the problem I am thinking it could.

See there I go again, right back to thinking about another issue. What is really funny is how I solve the first concern with the second. Will I ever be cured? Maybe my acronym should be OCD as I get older. I am trying to make myself understand that in the end all I am risking is some wasted dollars if I do not like something.

Maybe, you, VT, I and anyone else who wants to come should get together tomorrow and just take a small run up Hwy 9, grab a bite at Alice's or the market up there, check out the bikes and run a little further up skyline and head back 101 or something. Just a thought if the weather is good (if not, no biggy, I probably should get some work done anyways).

Looking forward to CCH Friday!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry I didn't reply to you sooner. Today would have been great for a drive but I'm stuck cleaning the yard for my son's bday next weekend. We definitely gotta get a drive on the schedule soon.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Guys for those of you that haven't purchased this. I just got mine today. Took me 10 min max to install. 8 min being because I couldn't find out where the hell to move the connector plug so that the pedal would seat back in. The instructions say to tuck it into the carpet but I didn't see any room to shove it under the carpet.

Where did the rest of you guys place the extra plug connection?

Anyways my first impressions. It def. makes a noticeable diff in the responsiveness of the throttle. For those of you that came from E46 m3's its comparable to pressing the sport button. Because of this it def helps with the laggy shifts at low rpms. For the feel that you get from this it IS worth the money. I am very satisfied with everything: the cost, the short time it took to get here, and the ease of installation!

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some BMW models would have a hole in the carpet for you to tuck the cable but not on the E60 M5. I just tucked it against the side of the bottom throttle plate. If you look down from your driver's seat, you can still see the cable but it's definitely out of the way and won't interfere with the pedal as you floor it.

Glad you like it. I took mine out and loaned it to Glock 32 for a day on Tue and he ordered one yesterday. hehe

What will probably convince you more is if you drive it for a few days and remove it, you'll think the car is sluggish in comparison with the SB installed.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I actually suggest you remove it when you take your car in for service. It's so easy to do it so it shouldn't be a hassle and it's probably better not to have the dealer notice it and ask questions. haha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts