BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas, I just got 2 estimate from 2 very well known shops locally who work exclusively on BMW.

One quoted me $720(6 hrs) + $180 (alignment), and the other $660 (6 hrs) + $200(alignment). Is that expected? a little high?

thanks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
took me 6 hours by myself. im sure if i had to do it again with help 3 hours. and alignment should cost less then 100. those are outrageous prices.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Where did you get the quotes from? If you're in the south bay, try Sonic. Link in my signature.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I got mine done for 550 and it did not need an alignment and that was verified by the stealer!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
if any shop is charging more than 400-500 for a simple spring install, run away. I asked around a couple shops and they charge around 250-400.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get the quotes from? If you're in the south bay, try Sonic. Link in my signature.
looks like i'm about 3 hours away from south bay. I got the quotes from Foreign Autohaus in El Dorado Hills and IPB Autosport in midtown Sac.

man, looks like i need to shop around.

·
Registered
259 Posts
i guarantee they are basing these quotes off the estimated hours in the shops service computer.

once had a shop quote me NINE hours for a spring install.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did call a local dealer and they quoted me $1600. 160 an hour for 9 hours labor + alignment.
Fwiw, the 2 non-dealers are almost 50% off dealer prices.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You should be around $500 for the install if they are familiar with it. The rear can take a while to get at compared to the front. The computer time calls for 8-9 hours labor. 5 hours alone in the rear. It should not take more than 4 hours or so. The alignment should not run you more than $100-130 for the alignment. They do not need to corner balance or anything.

What part of NC are you in? Any good local INDY BMW shops? Some might not want to "lower" a car but present it to them as putting new springs in instead :) Get the alignment from BMW if the shops are close to what BMW is charging you.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Having my KW V3 coilovers installed tomorrow, price $240 :)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Having my KW V3 coilovers installed tomorrow, price $240 :)
Nice! Someone beat me out on a used set the other day. Hope it wasn't you!!!!! :7:

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Nice! Someone beat me out on a used set the other day. Hope it wasn't you!!!!! :7:
You mean these :tonquesmilie:....I guess it was me :cheers:

My mechanic is in the North Bay Santa Rosa area, been going to him for almost 12 years so he hooks me up on price....none of this per hour rate he goes by per job.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
On here, they are hard to come by used. New they cost a pretty penny so I just had to wait it out.

I have H&R springs on right now but just wanted a more aggressive stance for the new rims arriving this weekend.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
On here, they are hard to come by used. New they cost a pretty penny so I just had to wait it out.

I have H&R springs on right now but just wanted a more aggressive stance for the new rims arriving this weekend.
Nice! :biggrinbounce:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts