BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tell whether my rear springs were installed using the "upper" or "lower" spring perch? What am I looking for? Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is no good way of telling without some disassembly except by comparing ride height. The lower slot is still obscured by the perch when it is at the higher setting. FYI, my stock ride height in the rear was 23.5" as measured from the lower outside lip of the wheel to the top of the wheel well/fender. When they were set at the top setting on the JRZs the ride height went up to 24.0". Again, this is what is specified in Dinan's installation instructions and it is wrong. When the bottom perch setting is used my ride height measured 23.375" for a drop of 0.125" from stock.

Hope this helps,

Jim

EdP said:
How do I tell whether my rear springs were installed using the "upper" or "lower" spring perch? What am I looking for? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This seems weird to me, I have compared a Dinan stg. 3 car next to stock, and there was a noticable yet subtle difference in ride height, no question. I'm not sure why some are experiencing an increase, or no change in ride height? Did you give the suspension some time to settle?

Travis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just remember we are talking rear only on this thread. My fronts dropped 0.75". I would consider the 1/8" that the rear dropped subtle but noticable.

I don't understand everyone talking about the suspension "settling". As long as the spring is fully seated in the perch there is nothing that changes. My two cents.

Jim

M5Kid said:
This seems weird to me, I have compared a Dinan stg. 3 car next to stock, and there was a noticable yet subtle difference in ride height, no question. I'm not sure why some are experiencing an increase, or no change in ride height? Did you give the suspension some time to settle?

Travis

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I remember when Atomic80 first got his Dinan stg. 3 suspension, and he talked about how it took a while for the suspension to settle, but after it had there was a noticable drop in ride height. Who knows, I guess in the end it doesn't matter much, as long as your happy with the suspension.

Travis

·
Registered
60 Posts
Absolutely. I'll watch mine and see if it changes.

Cheers,

Jim

M5Kid said:
I remember when Atomic80 first got his Dinan stg. 3 suspension, and he talked about how it took a while for the suspension to settle, but after it had there was a noticable drop in ride height. Who knows, I guess in the end it doesn't matter much, as long as your happy with the suspension.

Travis

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
jpeytonii said:
I don't understand everyone talking about the suspension "settling". As long as the spring is fully seated in the perch there is nothing that changes. My two cents.

Jim
The "characteristics" of a spring will change some shortly after it's put into service. Basically, it's free length and compressed length under load will drop by a few percent. Some mfg processes try to reduce this phenomenon, but it is normal. Realize that a springs sees abrupt shocks and harmonics. Twenty years ago, dirt track racers used to hammer on steel leaf springs to change their shape and alter ride height. Whacking a pothole isn't much different.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. I have virtually no change in ride height, now 6 weeks after installation. will have the rear spring perch checked this week. the instructions that came with my kit also were incorrect, and I'm not sure whether the dealer followed them

·
Registered
60 Posts
My front ride height is unchanged after six weeks. I assume that any of this so called "settling" would have happened by now if it was going to.

A dirt track racer changing the geometry of a leaf spring with a hammer, and consequently the spring rate, is vastly different from a coil spring being compressed by a pothole.

Cheers,

Jim

Lscman said:
The "characteristics" of a spring will change some shortly after it's put into service. Basically, it's free length and compressed length under load will drop by a few percent. Some mfg processes try to reduce this phenomenon, but it is normal. Realize that a springs sees abrupt shocks and harmonics. Twenty years ago, dirt track racers used to hammer on steel leaf springs to change their shape and alter ride height. Whacking a pothole isn't much different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts