BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the process of buttoning up my front end suspension, noticed the bottom tip of my spring is in a different orientation than the stock unit that came off the car. I thought the front spring lower tip should line up with the strut perch (indent), but apparently stock configuration is off by > 90 degrees. Thinking out loud, I believe the >90 degree offset will afford a slightly higher ride height, is this a USA only thing? Is it critical to align the spring orientation as stock? It's a PITA to pull and redo the strut assembly, but I rather do that than finding out the hard way on the road.

I've aligned the strut pinch line to L and R on either side, the question is about the springs. Here's a pic of the spring tip as it sits.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
The bottom of the springs is supposed to set into the end of the pocket - basically the lowest part of the support. There is no different way for the spring to sit for different markets, different markets have different springs,not different orientations.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bottom of the springs is supposed to set into the end of the pocket - basically the lowest part of the support. There is no different way for the spring to sit for different markets, different markets have different springs,not different orientations.
I'm having a hard time determining the "lowest part of the support". Is that the way I have it, or about 1/4 to 1/3 turn from the notch? I can't believe no one else have run into this issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
spring postion relative to strut perch????????

Hey bimmerule, I am dealing with the same orientation dilemma, what is the proper way the spring should be oriented????? need help please. Manny:eek

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
I always understood that the kink in the spring needed to line up with the notch on the lower perch. I've played around with stock springs, Dinan, H&R springs and all of them have this angular kink on the bottom coil. It's very subtle but you can definitely see it. I've always lined that up with the notch, regardless of where the end of the coil sits.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
+1 to post just above. E39 lower perch is not like the old style perches where the pigtail of the spring is designed to fit into that channel. Take a close look at the proper orientation of the lower spring pad in the above image since *that* is what goes into that space. The spring itself is not designed to fit down into that.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Not to be rude, but this is pretty common sense stuff guys
I disagree. What's common is as Jed, Rao and myself have stated, that the end of the coil typically butts into a notch in the perch. The E39 struts don't have that distinct notch, but if it wasn't for that Sachs information I would still think to place it "incorrectly" per what is shown.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.