BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Hi all i would just like to know who would be getting the new M6 and why ?
or who wont be getting it and why ( TT cough-cough):nono:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
DCT - yes
More torque - yes
Slick interior - yes

More weight - no
More expensive - no
TT V8 - probably no

Think I'll keep my 2010 Individual for another 28.5 years (I have a 30 year hold plan for my baby), but that's just me.

I'm sure it will be faster than the E63/E63 M6 but there is more to driving an M car than just acceleration. Let's see (?), OK hear, how it sounds and how engaging (or not) it is to drive.

I drove an X5M and an X6M on BMW Miramas track in France and they have lots of power but did not seem "sporty" to me if that makes any sense. Fast, competent and safe. But not an M car to my mind. Great SUVs but not sports cars. So which will the F10 M6 and the F12/F13 M6s feel like? M cars or M trucks (whose engine they will share more or less).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I prefer flatter torque curves, they are much more intuitive to drive... Naturally Aspirated, then Supercharged then Turbo (in that order)... many turbo cars give little to nothing, then bang, lots of torque which bleeds off near the upper RPMs... leading to a narrow window (RPM-wise) of usable power. Though I love the hard-acceleration under boost, it gets annoying in traffic ... and keeps you busy paying attention to gearing/shifting on the track. Turbo cars are a little more involved to maintain (in comparison to NA / Roots-style superchargers). I see the big pressure corporations are feeling from international carbon standards, and Turbos are a decent way to satisfy enthusiasts & environmentalists... I definitely prefer my V10 over the new engine (until I test-drive one to know for sure that is)

Additionally, I read on MotorTrend that the transmission will be a ZF sourced 8-speed auto, because M couldn't get the SMG nor DCT to handle the torque of the turbo V8.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Additionally, I read on MotorTrend that the transmission will be a ZF sourced 8-speed auto, because M couldn't get the SMG nor DCT to handle the torque of the turbo V8.
If that is true it really will be a Mercedes!!!!!! I can't imagine if this is the case. I guess there will be a new "type" of people buy the car then and we will have to just upgrade to Dinan or G-Power for our cars :cheers:

Then again...if GPower can get 800+HP and no problems out of the SMG, why can't the M division?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If that is true it really will be a Mercedes!!!!!! I can't imagine if this is the case. I guess there will be a new "type" of people buy the car then and we will have to just upgrade to Dinan or G-Power for our cars :cheers:

Then again...if GPower can get 800+HP and no problems out of the SMG, why can't the M division?
Agreed for SMG, but the F10 M5 and F12/F13 M6s will have DCT from what we hear. So their torque limit is likely different from our E60/E63/E64 SMGs.

I still bet against the trans being a full auto. MotorTrend is likely full of sh1t on that one. Time will tell...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts