BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one tell me wot this does ,does it stiffen car up,just bought my first m5 it is brill and i love driving it

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
It changes the throttle responce (more gas applied at same throttle position than when in non sport mode)

Stiffens power steering to give more road feel.

All around fun button.

When coupled with the DSC button it essentially turns friction off.

Bob

·
Registered
638 Posts
any one tell me wot this does ,does it stiffen car up,just bought my first m5 it is brill and i love driving it
change to throttle response is main thing.... cruise at 3000 rpm in 4th and then press the button, and you will feel a power hike.......

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
change to throttle response is main thing....
YES

cruise at 3000 rpm in 4th and then press the button, and you will feel a power hike.......

Wrong. If you are truly "crusing at 3000 rpm" it will do nothing. Try setting the Cruise Control on a level highway ... wait for the car to get to speed and try the button, it will do nothing (I've done it and reported it elsewhere here).

If the car ISN'T up to an "actual crusing speed (steady state)," it WILL lurch forward.

It DOES NOT apply more gas at the same throttle position, it just SPEEDS UP THE REACTION TO A CHANGE IN THROTTLE. (And, of course, makes the steering stiffer.)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I dont think he's wrong, man. If I'm rolling at 3k rpms with the foot steady on the gas and push the button, the car leaps forward. Strangely, the RPMS stay the same, and the difference is mostly noticeable in the lower gears with almost no difference (in throttle response) in 5th and 6th.

At least that's how it is in my car.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I dont think he's wrong, man. If I'm rolling at 3k rpms with the foot steady on the gas and push the button, the car leaps forward. Strangely, the RPMS stay the same, and the difference is mostly noticeable in the lower gears with almost no difference (in throttle response) in 5th and 6th.

At least that's how it is in my car.
I spent an hour one day checking it out, and there is no noticable change. Your foot isn't sensitive enough (nor is mine) to use your foot, the Cruise Control is (because it is electronic). (Watch the RPMs on the dashboard ... unlock and use Test # 5, as I recall.)

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
Hmmm it sounds as if you think that I'm saying that the pedal becomes softer/harder (hence the sensitive feet comment?). Is this the case? Because then I would have to agree with you, the pedal doesnt become softer nor harder. It just responds different. For example, try driving in stop-go traffic with the sport button off for a week.

Then turn it on and you'll find yourself coming off the line faster. Every now and then I forget to turn sport mode on and I notice that I need to push the throttle pedal further to get the same effect that I get with less foot action in sport mode.

·
Registered
128 Posts
when I push the button and I'm out on the road, the car jumps forward I can feel it in my seat, its more noticeable maybe in 40-50 for me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If your sitting at 3000 rpms on the highway in cruise control and hit the button nothing happens because the ecu knows you're at your desired speed so it adds no throttle.

Sit in your driveway and hold the revs at 3000 rpms and hit the button. You will see a big rise in the rpms. The sport button changes the amount of fuel the engine sees vs the throttle position.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
when I push the button and I'm out on the road, the car jumps forward I can feel it in my seat, its more noticeable maybe in 40-50 for me.
I just hit mine & this happened :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I feel a difference. I love showing the "sport' button off just because you can feel the change.

jclyman, I think your sport button is broken;)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
it remaps the throttle sensor and stiffens the steering feel.

For example:
In non-sport mode, you push the pedal down 1/4 of the way, and the ECU interprets it as 25% throttle.

You hit the sport button, same 1/4 way down on the pedal, but the ECU now interprets it as 35% throttle, and you will accelerate.

It will do nothing with the cruise control on, because you aren't using the pedal.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
YES

Wrong. If you are truly "crusing at 3000 rpm" it will do nothing. Try setting the Cruise Control on a level highway ... wait for the car to get to speed and try the button, it will do nothing (I've done it and reported it elsewhere here).

If the car ISN'T up to an "actual crusing speed (steady state)," it WILL lurch forward.

It DOES NOT apply more gas at the same throttle position, it just SPEEDS UP THE REACTION TO A CHANGE IN THROTTLE. (And, of course, makes the steering stiffer.)
Agreed- I have to be on the pedal (with slight application or better) to feel the bump in response. slowing down, coasting, or crusing, there is no difference in throttle feel...

It is felt best at 3000-3500 rpm when accelerating.

I remember letting a lady friend of mine drive my beast, and i pushed the button while she jaunted down the road.

Her reaction- HOLY CRAP! WHAT WAS THAT?

My reply- M power baby :thumbsup:

Reactions: jclyman

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
cheers guys i was told it made car harder but could not see how this was possable

Definitely stiffens the steering, but not the suspension.

Reactions: jclyman
1 - 20 of 26 Posts