BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an ld one, but I am still curious if the effect that the sport button has on the steering weight and feel could be increased ?

Is there anyone out threre that has any ideas how to add a little more 'sport' to the steering ?

:confused:

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
I know this is an ld one, but I am still curious if the effect that the sport button has on the steering weight and feel could be increased ?

Is there anyone out threre that has any ideas how to add a little more 'sport' to the steering ?

:confused:
Turn both the DSC button OFF and the SPORT button ON and you will get a more "sport" feel to the steering.

Mark

·
Registered
590 Posts
MAH said:
Turn both the DSC button OFF and the SPORT button ON and you will get a more "sport" feel to the steering.

Mark
I didn't know that Mark. I'll try it tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Joe

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
How about switching your front tires to "grippiers" tires and increase the size of your front tires!

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Oh and one more thing, i've noticed that after installing 10mm spacers on my front wheels, the steering response and weight has improved alot!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
MAH said:

Mark
I tried this, and there is NO difference in the steering feel with DSC off on my car. I had never heard or read that this would make any difference.

Petey Pop - Sport setting not only makes the engine more responsive, but it significantly firms-up the steering feel -- not as much power steering boost.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Digi said:
I tried this, and there is NO difference in the steering feel with DSC off on my car. I had never heard or read that this would make any difference.
I think that was tongue on check. With DSC off and heavy foot, you will probably have to make some pretty quick steering corrections when the back end comes around! :1:

Petey Pop - Sport setting not only makes the engine more responsive, but it significantly firms-up the steering feel -- not as much power steering boost.
I found the steering feel is not firmer, just heavier if that makes sense. After the UD underdrive pulleys, I find the steering feel nicely balanced with sport on. My $.02
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ahmed said:
Oh and one more thing, i've noticed that after installing 10mm spacers on my front wheels, the steering response and weight has improved alot!
Ahmed, tks I bought 15mm spacers and fitted them, just preferred the feel with them off.... Probably should of bought 10mm ones !!!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
DSC off won't make a difference to steering feel. It will just make the car act more under your own control at the limit. The sport mode is more firm but not much more "feel" of the road. The spacers increase the resistance to turning because of the extra inertia (distance between the weight and pivot points) causing more effort to the steering. The under drive pullies would help reduce steering boost but there isn't much that would increase steering 'feel' due to the recirculating ball design. I personally like the balance between feel and effort in sport mode. There isn't as much feel as the best cars (E36 M3 for example) but its far better than most cars. A Mazda 3 is supposed to have great steering and handling but it had no more feel than my mothers' Chrysler van.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Ok Ok, I stand corrected. The SPORT button ON backs off of the power steering assistance a bit while at the same time sharpening the accelerator responce by quite a bit.

Turning the DSC ON puts a bigger smile on your face :7: , while at the same time allowing steering of your car from behind! I have had more fun in rear end drifts than I can possible remember. If you have attended any of the BMW classes they will teach you how to completely steer with the rear wheels, the accelerator and a lot of quick heart beats.

Mark

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't feel any difference in Sport mode with DSC on or off :3:

I would still like to add more weight to the steering, like a stronger version of Sport. I hate the car in non Sport, it's like a darned Merc.......

If Sport reduces the power assistance, which would make sense, can I reduce it a little further ?

:M5launch:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
I didn't feel any difference in Sport mode with DSC on or off :3:

I would still like to add more weight to the steering, like a stronger version of Sport. I hate the car in non Sport, it's like a darned Merc.......
Do what I did, get a complete ( front and rear ) set of drag radial tires installed! It handles like a dream and feels alot stiffer than before!

Do you have sport suspension installed?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ahmed, I have just fitted new tyres :sad1:

They are ok, the Toyo T1R's get good reviews and are quite soft. The suspension is the Eibach coilover system and I have the big roll bars and poly bushes. The car sits and handles well, just fancy a little more steering weight if it wasn't too difficult to acheive.

My thinking was, if there is a reduction in voltage or similar to the pump with Sport on, I could mod it so it went from Sport to sport plus, so to speak. Rather than std to Sport... If you follow

I would love something like Dunlop Formula R tyres, they transformed the handling of my old E30 M3, trouble is I'm doing 20k miles a year at the mo and the Formula R's lasted 3-5k miles.........

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
Ahmed, I have just fitted new tyres :sad1:

They are ok, the Toyo T1R's get good reviews and are quite soft. The suspension is the Eibach coilover system and I have the big roll bars and poly bushes. The car sits and handles well, just fancy a little more steering weight if it wasn't too difficult to acheive.

My thinking was, if there is a reduction in voltage or similar to the pump with Sport on, I could mod it so it went from Sport to sport plus, so to speak. Rather than std to Sport... If you follow

I would love something like Dunlop Formula R tyres, they transformed the handling of my old E30 M3, trouble is I'm doing 20k miles a year at the mo and the Formula R's lasted 3-5k miles.........
I love how technically minded you are! However, would you say its wise to play around with the beasts electonics?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
Very logical. How about an email to the guys at DA? This should be an easy question for them.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Ahmed said:
Do what I did, get a complete ( front and rear ) set of drag radial tires installed! It handles like a dream and feels alot stiffer than before....

Wow - no fooling? Please tell me more! Specifically, what is the advantage of drag radials on the front. Also, I'm VERY curious how the drag radials on the rear worked at a drag strip compaired to street tires.

:byebye:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts