BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been meaning to ask this for quite some time but never have...

I prefer to drive my M5 in sport mode because I like the quicker throttle response and most of all the heavier steering. Now my question is, in the 2003 530i the steering is much heavier in just a normal mode. I was curious if anyone else had experienced this in say a 530i or perhaps another 5 series if this is common. Why wouldnt the steering in the M5 be heavier too? I would think the M5 steering should be as heavy or heavier than the steering in a 2003 530i sport pkg? Any ideas?

The only thing I could think of is wider rubber up front in the stock 530i might make a diffrence, I have no idea...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Not having driven a 530 I really cannot say but it might be a function of the rack and pinion versus the recirculating ball of the M5.. very different feel from either one..

Just a thought :confused:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
M Power said:
Not having driven a 530 I really cannot say but it might be a function of the rack and pinion versus the recirculating ball of the M5.. very different feel from either one..

Just a thought :confused:
Good point... Had not thought of that.

·
Registered
897 Posts
M5 has recirculating ball steering. I think the 530 has rack and pinion. I remember reading that the V8 was too big to accomodate rack and pinion.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CEC said:
M5 has recirculating ball steering. I think the 530 has rack and pinion. I remember reading that the V8 was too big to accomodate rack and pinion.

Good info. Makes sense to me. I rather prefer the heavier steering in the 530i, but the M5 is not bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts