BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if you guys experience this, but my car is noticably slower when the sport mode is on. With the Sport mode "on", I get a whole lot of low end torque, but the torque tapers off quickly as the rpm climbs.

Initially, I thought that it was just perception. I thought that I felt less torque at high end because I started off with more torque in the beginning.

But yeaterday, I went on a impromtu Highpoint drive (with sport mode on) with Alan and Dan. Dan's car is much faster than mine for some reason..and whenever we punch the throttle (even on the same gear), Dan was able to pull away consistently.

Later, I switched off the Sport mode and I was able to keep up..as a matter of fact, I actually felt that my car was gaining on Dan's car.

Conclusion:
Sport mode on = good low end torque,
Sport mode off = good high end torque.

Is my car defective or are you guys experiencing the same thing? Maybe we should test the quarter mile times with sport mode on and with sport mode off. I think you guys may be wrong that the sport mode is just a throttle control. I believe that the engine timing and fuel maps change too. My car must be burning too rich in Sport mode, thus losing high rpm power.

·
Banned
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nick,

that was funny... I always thought the pedal on the left was the gas..eerrrm or maybe it was the center one!?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Kelvin:

Just came back from BMW M5 Driving Experience and we had a chance to play with and drive the M5 rather hard (some might even consider it abuse--although we were following orders),overall acceleration is not affected by the sport mode -- just throttle response. All 8 of the M5's at the School were slow -- JUST KIDDING!

Jack

·
Registered
257 Posts
Kelvin,

The sport mode affects the throttle response by opening the butterflies a bit more quickly. If you really think that something is screwed, take the car in for service. They SHOULD be able to monitor this type of thing on their computer as you press the throttle in both modes. The engine performance itself should be absolutely unaffected. Dan.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I wonder Kelvin, if you got a lemon. I too am not thrilled to the heights of elation with off line performance, but I don't feel that the car is slow by any means. I dare anything to blow it away from 70 mph on up.
As to the sport mode if you floor the throttle and switch back and forth from sport to normal while holding the throttle to the floor, you will feel NO difference. Thats right! NO difference, try it. I couldn't believe it either.
Personally I think it handles better in normal mode. The steering feels quicker, more nuetral, and seems to have less understeer tendencies. I don't think you will see any real 1/4 mile times between the two. Seems to me the "sport" button is really a gimmick.
Bruce

·
Registered
73 Posts
I prefer the "heavier" steering in sport mode. I definitely prefer the quicker throttle response in sport mode.

My car feels fast at full throttle in either mode.

Rick W

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Bruce,
I would imagine that the sports mode button wouldn,t come on right awa after you hit it. It might take a few seconds for it to kick in. I,m not sure, but when I have the sports mode on, I have a feeliing that the RPM needle moves up faster.. maybe it,s just psychological...
Terence

·
Registered
61 Posts
you can actually feel the sport mode engage / the throttle plates opening if you hit the button while the engine is at about 300 rpm's. It will also make the vehicle surge forward alittle bit under mild acceleration. I guess you could time this to see how long it really takes to engage. also, the from the way i see it, the rpm's should rev up faster and higher with the same pedal pressure as with sport mode off. Doesn't sport mode make the throttle more sensitive, which means it will react more with less gas pedal inputs. Sport mode shouldn't make a difference with full throttle runs because the throttle opens fully with or without the sport mode engaged.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I second the sport mode button being a gimmick. The car only needs one mode and that's "sport". I've got so used to driving with the sport mode that the car seems unresponsive in the default mode.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
I think the sports mode is quite useful when you're in heavy traffic. You don't have to pay that much attention to the throttle input and worry about rear ending the car in front of you.. =)

·
Registered
66 Posts
A car is fast when it´s really fast in all modes. This will not depend on the mode your drive it.

For me a car is fast when i open up the thorttle full and i leave ALL other cars, esp. the "competitors" behind me, without any doubt. Judge yourself for your car.

------------------
///Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts