BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember my friend showing me the " SPORT " button
while I was driving. when he pushed the SPORT button
it instantaneously gave the alot of power..

So Im assumming the SPORT button is actually something
that activates the " Vanos"

can someone enlighten me??

and What exactly does Vanos do??

thanks again

BTW. sorry for all the NEWBIE questions.
and yes I searched..cherrsagai

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats it?? thats really strange.

Because as were driving, he would hit the button.
and you can feel the increase in power, as if 2 cylinders just
kicked on or something. Seems like more than just better throttle
response.

So what does the sport button do, to make the throttle response
better?? something is going on. Its more than just suspension.
has to be.. You can feel it..

Roll along 20mph and hit the button.

but i guesss thats the story and everyone is sticking to it.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Thats it?? thats really strange.

Because as were driving, he would hit the button.
and you can feel the increase in power, as if 2 cylinders just
kicked on or something. Seems like more than just better throttle
response.

So what does the sport button do, to make the throttle response
better?? something is going on. Its more than just suspension.
has to be.. You can feel it..

Roll along 20mph and hit the button.

but i guesss thats the story and everyone is sticking to it.
It touches the throttle responce, and makes the steering heavyer, and adds about 10hp. Thats it, nothing to do with the suspension at all.

·
Registered
400 Posts
usually you have to reach a bit to hit the sport button, and that will change the pressure your foot puts on the accelerator. When the switch is hit, the instantaneous increase in throttle response is felt as a slight jerk from that extra foot pressure. Thats my interpretation of the sensation you describe, we all feel the same sensation of a power increase.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Do people here generally drive with this always on ? or is it an occasional thing ? Does this burn more gas as expected ?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
It doesn't add any HP at wide-open throttle. I verified this at the drag strip. It just "quickens" up the throttle map. Example:

Sport off, gas pedal at 25% might equate to 25% throttle opening.

Turn Sport on, and that same 25% gas pedal position might now translate to opening the throttles 40% via the drive-by-wire magic.

Sport mode also "dials down" the Servotronic assist. So the result is heavier steering at slower speeds.

That's it. Sorry. :cheers:

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
E39 MFIVE said:
Remember my friend showing me the " SPORT " button
while I was driving. when he pushed the SPORT button
it instantaneously gave the alot of power..

So Im assumming the SPORT button is actually something
that activates the " Vanos"

can someone enlighten me??

and What exactly does Vanos do??

thanks again

BTW. sorry for all the NEWBIE questions.
and yes I searched..cherrsagai
Actually it activates the turboshiha hiha hiha Just kidding! Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I don't think it even increases throttle response, except at low throttle angles. It only seems that way, because it takes less pedal movement to get the same effect. Mash the throttle to the floor in neutral with sport on or off, and the actual throttle response (rate of engine acceleration) will be the same.

The Sport button is an inexpensive gimmick probably invented by marketing types. It is fun to play with though! :cool2:

·
Registered
311 Posts
I agree. The car should have been made as if it were in the sport mode all the time.
ELEVENS said:
I don't think it even increases throttle response, except at low throttle angles. It only seems that way, because it takes less pedal movement to get the same effect. Mash the throttle to the floor in neutral with sport on or off, and the actual throttle response (rate of engine acceleration) will be the same.

The Sport button is an inexpensive gimmick probably invented by marketing types. It is fun to play with though! :cool2:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I start the engine and have to press sport on and DSC off before moving. I put DSC back on in the wet or if the temperature is a bit icy. I have gotten use to changing gear with that throttle response setup; DSC cuts in too early and removes the fun plus the power dump stresses the clutch.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I dont know to what extent the sport button affects anyones gas mileage but my own, and I consistently see a 1 mpg drop in mileage if I drive in the same manner as with sport mode off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts