BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a dumb question, and in general I know, but in the last week (since getting my 01 M5 back from service) I'm having trouble detecting the difference in steering with the sport button on. The throttle effect is definitely intact. So, I wonder if its possible to inadvertently "dis-engage" the effect on steering. This dealership once forgot to secure my fuel line and I was stranded en-route to a wedding, so I have the right to be suspicious. I can recall times when the steering was so tight I was almost startled by the amount of effort it took to turn the wheel (man that felt good!). Is it dependent on your speed and/or other factors? Should I notice a difference in Sport steering even at slower speeds? Please help me set my expectations before I jump to futher conclusions. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The difference is noticeable at slow speeds, but I can really feel the difference as speed goes up...the steering is much firmer and feels more direct.

·
Registered
789 Posts
A good question. There was a guy at the track this weekend that was complaining that the steering felt like it was stuck in "sport" all the time. Only the throttle response would change, so it seems there's some sort of gremlin that can get in there. I assume there is a valve that switches between two different pump pressures to get the "sport" effect.

·
Registered
789 Posts
ycchan said:
I did and haven't found any posts that say exactly how it works. Only vague references to making the steering feel heavier. For all I know it prods a midget to push against whichever direction you try to turn the wheel :wroom:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Guys and gals, I believe what it does is reduce the amount of assistance the power steering system gives to you. Probably by reducing the pressure and/or lowering the electrical power to it.

I think everyone already knows that it moves the throttle position mapping lower in the RPM band.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I found the thread and read up :)

I am interested in the elctrical feed to the power streeing set up, Mmmmm I wonder if One could put something in line to give you near sport steering on non Sport and even sharper steering on Sport ?

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Carrera2RS said:
I found the thread and read up :)

I am interested in the elctrical feed to the power streeing set up, Mmmmm I wonder if One could put something in line to give you near sport steering on non Sport and even sharper steering on Sport ?
I think it is much more responsive at low speeds and less so at high speeds just my opinion (and also wanna check if the avitar working now that I found it :) ) and hey it does!
WillM5AD

1 - 12 of 12 Posts