BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Spoke to Avus Blue M5 Owner in Vancouver. Are you on here?

3K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Jon Baker 
#1 ·
I had a nice chat with a guy who owns a pristine, drop-dead gorgeous E34 Avus Blue M5 today. I forgot to ask if he was on here.

Are you? :)

He tells me it's the only Avus Blue in Canada, so he shouldn't be hard to track down.

#2 ·
That's a simple one, as you must have spoken with Paul Shaw who owns an Avus Blue '93 US E34 M5 that either meets or exceeds the critererion mentioned here. He does frequent this board from time to time although he has now also been corrupted by an even more stunning Italian Spyder of the prancing horse variety.

This photo will let the others know exactly why you categorized Paul's car in such an appropriate manner here verbally.

Regards,

Ken Little
Bay Area M5's

#5 · (Edited)
Paul's car was supercharged only briefly. They couldn't get it to behave right and it was causing major reliability issues. They took it off, and instead he went with I believe a Conforti chip and the Dinan exhaust cam sprocket (which I understand is simply off the S38b38). It is in fantastic condition, with super low mileage.

The picture Ken posted does not even begin to do Paul's car justice. It is simply minty fresh inside and out. The engine bay looks as if the car just left Garching.

#6 ·
Sam,

Thanks for your querry and to Jeff for alerting me to your post. Yes I am on this board. And thanks to Ken Little for kindly posting a photo of my car and, again, for the amazing documentation he did of my supercharging project on his 'Shades of Blue' webpage.

Well, the news is I'm inching towards parting with my beloved M5. It's unique, it's a head-turner, it's a performer, but the reality is I hardly drive it. What I do drive is my 355 Ferrari Spider on sunny days, my knock about Jeep in the rain, and my bike. In fact, I ride my bike more than all the driving combined.

Here's a list of info on the car. I'm in no rush to sell and don't need the money for another car, a holiday, or a face lift. But I have told a few people if I was offered $40K Canadian by a true enthusiast I'd probably let it go.

Cheers,

Paul Shaw, alias Samson
rshaw1@shaw.ca

M5 Information List

-- Rare + highly desired color AVUS BLUE in Showroom condition
-- Off-white leather upholstry
-- Last hand built BMW M5 series
-- 45K kilometers or 26K miles
-- Several Upgrades to bring car closer to 93-95 Euro Spec Version (see below)
-- 351 HP (vs. 311 Stock) and 311 ft/lbs Torque (vs. 268 ft/lbs Stock)
-- Major servicing done recently ($1000), all belts, valve adjustments etc.

Changes/Upgrades to My Particular 93 E34 M5 Cost ($ Canadian)

Alpine CD Changer 6-Disc with Remote

M-Parallel Wheels – 9” on front, 10” on rear
($4000cdn)
Top Performing Bridgestone Potenza S03 Tires
235/40/18 on front, 265/40/18 rears
($1700cdn)
M-tech spoiler ($1200cdn)
Dinan Exhaust Cam Sprocket ($1591cdn)
Jim Conforti Chip ($350cdn)
Emmingen Short Shift ($570cdn)
Metal Pedal Kit ($180cdn)

Total ($10,223cdn)

Notable Changes/Upgrades to 93 E34M5 in North America vs. Earlier 90-92 E34M5s

-- Rear axle ratio changed from 3.91 to 3.73 for better fuel economy (92 onwards)
-- Reduced clutch pedal effort (92 onwards)
-- Door sill platres updated (92 onwards)
-- ZF Servotronic (vehicle speed sensitive)power sterring in place of engine-speed sensitive version (92 onwards)
-- M system II “throwing star” wheel covers replace “turbine” wheels (93)
-- M-technic side rear-view mirrors replace regular 5 series versions (93)
-- Shadowline exterior trim in palce of chrome (93)
-- Front exterior door handles embossed with “BMW Motorsport” text (93)
-- Bird’s eye maple wood trim added in gray or black stain (93)
-- M tri-color stitching added to the steering wheel rim
-- Avus blue metallic, Lagoon Green, Brilliant Red + Mugello Red as new colors

#8 ·
I wasn't sure if I should mention that Paul is considering selling his M5, but now that he has, I will say that though his asking price is high for an E34 M5, try and find other examples with as low mileage and as spectacular condition as Paul's car - it is an extremely limited market! For someone who wants to travel back in time to be able to buy when the last hand-build BMW Motorsport car was still in showrooms, this is as close as you're going to get... it is that minty.

#9 ·
KLittle said:
That's a simple one, as you must have spoken with Paul Shaw who owns an Avus Blue '93 US E34 M5 that either meets or exceeds the critererion mentioned here. He does frequent this board from time to time although he has now also been corrupted by an even more stunning Italian Spyder of the prancing horse variety.

This photo will let the others know exactly why you categorized Paul's car in such an appropriate manner here verbally.

Regards,

Ken Little
Bay Area M5's

What a beutiful example, puts mine to shame. If only I lived in Canada...:crying:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.