BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know whether the spoiler is more than decorative? If it is not a "performance" item I will delete it. Please let me know.

·
Registered
87 Posts
First of all, why you want to delete the spoiler?? As far as I know, spoiler deletion is a No cost option and no money-back for deletion.

To answer your Q, the spoiler gives more downforce at Autobahn speed. Anything less then 220 km/h won't show any significant advantage.

Why delete it when you can have it??

Andy Kuo

------------------
ICQ# 26950002
Mercedes S-Class Page
http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ugly? Uncool? Stuck on? Afterthought?

Your thoughts welcome on this. Thanks.

------------------
"Ordered" May 8, 2000
Imola Red / Black

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I ordered my car, I was going to opt for the spoiler delete option. The brochure the dealer had (which is very nice, BTW) had numerous photos of a silverstone M5, but no photos of a car with the spoiler, so I figured if BMW, in their promotional literature, didn't show it the spoiler must spoil the look of the car. Knowing it only really makes a difference above 200kms (which I do, but not very often), I figured I didn't need it, and didn't want to find out that it was ugly upon delivery. (It is not easy to remove, I was told). Before making my final option choices, I went to BMW in Munich to actually see some M5s. I'm glad I did. I was planning on Anthracite, but seeing Carbon Black, I changed the color (both are very nice, but to me CB was nicer). And, the spoiler in my opinion is very descreet but adds to the overall beauty of the car. While not integrated with the trunk lid as one single piece (lid and spoiler), it does not look like an afterthought. I am into the stealth look, and did debadge the car, but I am glad I got the spoiler. FWIW. Just one man's opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I also initially went for the spoiler (and badge) delete option.

When we converted the order to Euro Delivery, I put the spoiler back on just in case it might do some good.

I'm still not convinced I like it.

I believe the BMW promo pictures do, in fact, have it - it's just very small.

·
Registered
52 Posts
no spoiler = looks like a 540
if they had an airdam delete, would you do that??
the spoiler is all good & adds downforce to the rear. i have it. asked the neighbor, he approved too. happy w/ the spoiler.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Would I prefer a nose more like the 540i? Yeah, probably, though the front end treatment isn't bad.

I wouldn't mind a rear lower bumper without the cutout panel between the tailpipes, either...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wish the car had smaller tires/wheels. Like maybe 195/60/14 or something...I'm sure it would ride a lot smoother. Also the wheels would weigh a lot less. I assume the reason they didn't do that was the big brakes...so maybe they could of just put some smaller drums and that would be just fine for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
... and all the leather and wood is a little too nice. Maybe we can could get it replaced with vinyl and the fake wood paneling from an '80s Buick station wagon.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
How about installing a real full size spare on the back of the bumper just like an old Contential!?! Then again, you would also have to add a couple of vanity lights on the outside between the doors.

What would you rename it? Try M5 LeSabre!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I wouldn't particularly mind if the car were such that only a very few people really knew what they were looking at.

The goal is a car that most people (notably the ones with badges and ticket books) yawn at.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Emeso,

Just one note I want to add before you choose to get spoiler-delete option.

That tiny spoiler, unpainted, is $500 CDN($340 US)option on 528/540. If you can have it(well, it's factor into the price of the M5 anyway)for "free", why not keep it??

It really adds that light touch of elegence to the M5 body.

Andy Kuo

·
Registered
722 Posts
I haven't yet decided whether to order my m5 with the spoiler, but highway stealth won't be a factor. The police will have made a decision to ticket long before the miniscule spoiler is noticed. It's more a matter of function (at speeds I'll never see) vs. aesthetics. I would probably be willing to pay an extra $1500 or so for a trunk lid with comparable integrated aerodynamic modification.

I've decide to keep the m5 badge. The badge is easily removed (I'll remove it), and reapplied later, if a potential buyer wants it. I am told by the dealer that, if you don't get the badge with the car, they can't get one for you later.

Richard

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good idea to get them with badges and remove them after delivery, but what do you do to the door moldings that say ///M5 ?

I think you can always get badges somehow...what if they get stolen...are you just **** out of luck?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I deleted the spoiler after seeing it up close on another car. I do agree with some of the other comments that it looks cheap and like a paste-on afterthought. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so try to see one and then you will know what to do.

·
Registered
418 Posts
My Black/Carmel M5 was ordered with the "Badge Delete" option (i.e. no M5 badges recessed in the forward portion both front door side impact strips nor on the rear decklid). I prefer the stealthy look of the car sans badges.

However, in case I change my mind in the future, I have purchased the following items for potential retrofitting:

Adhesive M-Emblem Part No. 51-14-2-694-404 $33.93

Adhesive "5" Emblem Part No. 51-14-2-693-189
$13.44

5 Series Front Door Moldings
Part No. 51-13-2-693-353 &
Part No. 51-13-2-693-354
$43.00 each

These items are obviously available -- I have them in my possession!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts