BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't seem to understand why people delete the spoiler and badge (and anything else they could delete!). Is because they are scared that they would be noticed driving such a nice car? Is it because they are SOOO modest? I think that's hypocrisy, not modesty. Personally, I think it's an insult to such a great car.

I wonder to what extent these people would go as to deleting stuff, how about deleting the airdam, 3 exhausts or getting 15 inch wheels instead of 18?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
I agree, but people are weird (I should know) :).

I personally think it's crazy to got through the considerable expense of getting an M car and then hiding it's origin in the name of stealth. On the other side you have 5 series owners (with lots of help from BMW)badging their cars as M5's.

Go figure? To each his own I guess.

M Power to the people!

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Come on guys - it's not such a big deal. Why should one want to show off M badges all over the place (especially into the eyes of thieves and vandals)? The M5 looks especially tasteful without all the badging. Discrete is neat and it shows you don't have to shout about the things you have; after all, are you buying the car for your own enjoyment or just to be 'flash'?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
I agree- if I could delete all the badges on the outside with the exception of the trunk emblem- frankly I was a little disappointed with the dual exhaust and aggressive lower front- until I saw it up close- IMHO the changes they did to the front and rear make the M5 look much better than the current 5 series. I also find it a little tacky that theres a m logo on the steering wheel, on the door step, on the speedometer on the gear shift, on the wheels- yes I know its a M5 just by pushing the throttle, even a little bit!

Id certainly leave the rear spoiler- it adds a little something.

I suppose all these logos are there since the ///M logo has become associated with high performance and quality, but if it were left up to me, Id have the M logo on the speedo, on the rear and maybe on the doorsteps. thats all. The steering wheel is M w/o the logo- you can tell by the tricolor stiching- thats a nice touch. Id prefer either no logo on the shifter or just a small tricolor banding.

of course this is nit picking, overall the new m5 shows a job well done.

ME

·
Registered
122 Posts
The first thing I look for when I see an M5 is the chrome wheels. I don't even look at spoiler orr anything (at first anyways). Put the 530i wheels on it, and you would fool most people, and have one helluva sleeper :). Just my .02

- matt -

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I'm sticking with full badging etc. simply in the interest of resale.

"Whaddaya mean, you never had a badge or spoiler?" I can just picture it now.

Not that I think I'll ever sell

Alps

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I took off my rear badge just because it looked like cheap plastic. Less people notice it, which is fine with me. But those who do ALWAYS want to race, which is also fine with me :)

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
hahah. i had so many plate ideas.

M5 POWER
400 BHP
GOOD BYE
ZOOM BYE
DONT TRY
CYA
M5 JIGGA (yes, corny. it was supposed to be a joke at my clean-cut appearance.)

--Dan

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
incidentally, i ended up with the DMV assigned plate. adds (a little) to the subtlety factor (although I miss every other driver waving a thumbs up).

--Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
I delete the badge on all of my cars -- including the Toyota Sienna van. It looks cleaner, nicer...not to mention that there is no reason my car should be a free advertisement. But then again, I don't wear designer clothes with the designer's name emblazoned on them. In Europe, you find more badge deleted cars, probably for the same reason.

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Hmmm, am I, Chris and some other "crazy" Germans on Autobahn the only one "stupid" enough to put a fake badge to de-grade a M3 to a "324 d" and a 540i to a 520i?

When I had my M3 I thought it was extremely funny to have it. For some time, after two months I got rid of it. Some pros:

1. Very stealthy, "ordinary" people never even notice that it is a nice car. At the most the say, "Ah nice diesel" or something. This won't make people jelaous and key it and so on.

2. The "car nuts" (like us) immedeatly recognices the M3 bodykit and the large exhausts and come to the conclusion that it is a genuine M3 and the owner had the humour of putting a diesel emblem on it. They'll have a laugh.

3. The not so smart people who think somebody is so stupid that he buys a 3 series diesel, and buy M3 bodywork and alloys for about 50% of the cars price and then does not remove the most obvious sign to reveal the identity, the diesel badge!

Anyway, this "fake-badging" seems to be a good instignator to races. Every performance car equal to M3 seems to must check out if it really is a diesel. Which leads to races, which is of course fun!

Also there are these who thinks that it really is a diesel and try to race with Volvo 740 or so. But these could be ignored or beaten without changing gears.

Saw this fenomen lot of times when racing on autobahn. Real funny, I think... When you realize that it is no ordinary BMW 520i who is chasing you at 240 km/h.

Anybody understand or is my humour wicked?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
We just got back from picking up our (badge-delete) M5 via Euro Delivery.

While at the Munich Niederlassung, I stopped by the parts department and picked up 520i and 523i badges just in case I decide I want to use them on either the M5 or the spousal 540i.

My view is that I don't care if 90% of the population knows what my car is, and I'd probably prefer most didn't know. Those few who can recognize an M5 will do so with or without badges.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I left the spoiler off for a cleaner (and easier to clean)look. The dealer said I can always add it, but tough to take it off.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I don't seem to understand why people delete the spoiler and badge (and anything else they could delete!). Is because they are scared that they would be noticed driving such a nice car? Is it because they are SOOO modest? I think that's hypocrisy, not modesty. Personally, I think it's an insult to such a great car.

I wonder to what extent these people would go as to deleting stuff, how about deleting the airdam, 3 exhausts or getting 15 inch wheels instead of 18?
So are you saying that my car had its spoiler lip delete by factory is wrong? :dunno:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Wow, long time since I've seen a thread bumped from the time period when these cars were brand new... much less from a time period when pre-facelift models were brand new!!!

For me JEM's post hit the nail on the thread. I deleted my badge because the car isnt about status to me, its about enjoying the car. And to me the car looks cleaner without the badge, more "sleek" - those who know an M5 will know it from the other cues, if they think its a non-M with a bodykit then once you floor it they should know :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts