BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts where people are looking at different styles/types of pieces, namely splitters, but have not been able to find anything that discusses the merit beyond looks.

Has anybody noticed a measurable difference with the diffusers or splitters out there? Either in downforce/grip/handling, gas mileage, or top speed (increase/decrease in drag)?

My suspicion is that theyre entirely cosmetic.

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Cosmetically functional.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Unless one is doing more than high speeds...aren't all splitters and diffusers "cosmetic"?
The aerodynamic payoff comes from higher speeds than we are allowed on the street imo.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Unless one is doing more than high speeds...aren't all splitters and diffusers "cosmetic"?
The aerodynamic payoff comes from higher speeds than we are allowed on the street imo.
How much equates to "more than high speeds"? :dunno:

Kidding aside, the short answer is "Yes."

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Splitters, diffusers and wings absolutely confer measurable aerodynamic benefits when made in the proper size and shape. But yes, their principal benefits manifest themselves above 75 MPH.

--Peter

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Most splitters on street cars are designed to look like 'real' splitters on race cars, but offer merely cosmetic racecar type look. So, since they look like real ones, most likely they do offer some performance change......this could only be verified in a wind tunnel.

That all being said, there are some really cool looking splitters out there, I have ACS replica splitters on the front of my beast, and a carbon, finned rear diffuser. Both probably offer .01% performance gain.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Splitters, diffusers and wings absolutely confer measurable aerodynamic benefits when made in the proper size and shape. But yes, their principal benefits manifest themselves above 75 MPH.

--Peter

I agree with this guy..

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I think the issue with most aero parts on the market is that they were not designed with a wind tunnel of computer modeling to measure the airflow effects of the piece being installed on the car. It would not surprise me if a lot of the lower chin spoilers actually create a zone of air that may even reduce performance at very high speeds, but I don't think it would be noticed outside the track.

With that train of thought, I still install aero parts if I like how it looks and as long as it does not generate noticeable turbulence or increased wind noise.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I agree with Peter as well. Most high end car manufacturers, for example, have spoilers on its vehicles deploy at 75+ mph.

..and that's when the fuzz knows to pull you over..doh!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts