BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pull up to a stop light just before entering the highway. I looked to my right and in the next lane was one of the road sloths (Camry). Just for fun I turned off the DSC and let it rip (sport mode always on).
The engine roared, tires spun and the camry pulled to the side of the road (must have gotten scared)...

Anyway, once tracion was established I turned onto the highway must have been pulling around 100 mph however when I looked down my speedometer was reading 45 mph.

Has anyone seen this before???????

·
Registered
576 Posts
happened to me a couple of times, no explanation, doesn't happen every time but it's happend a few times. My gas gauge has a lag too, it won't register new gas till I turn the car on and off a few times

·
Registered
7 Posts
bump..... had this issue too the other day on hard acceleration ... noticing tach and speedo are laggy..... defective cluster? speed sensor? ABS unit? though mine was recently replaced.... any insight would be great! btw... no check lights on of any sort

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not uncommon to see a latency in speedo and tach readings and the speedo usually reads 4-5 mph faster than you are going in a German car once this latency is overcome (manufacturers don't want to get blamed for speeding tickets). In your case it was probably worse due to spinning tires. Also not uncommon for sending units to stick or have bad spots in older cars. Mine doesn't register small changes, I usually brim the tank which also reduces potential for condensation inside.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
bump..... had this issue too the other day on hard acceleration ... noticing tach and speedo are laggy..... defective cluster? speed sensor? ABS unit? though mine was recently replaced.... any insight would be great! btw... no check lights on of any sort
I have the same issue too. Only on hard acceleration from a dig. For example I'm at 100 mph, but the speedo shows 40... it normalizes when I stop accelerating. Really makes me mad and I have no idea what could cause that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My speedo does the opposite. It will stick on a speed while the car slows down. I have to drive with a phone app to check my speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm, good point. This only happens on M5's? I wonder if anyone with a 540 has it. If so does it only happen on ones with LSD?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts