BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't flame me on that one, please. People on this board sometime talk about driving at speed close to 150mph (on a perfectly clear freeway). I wonder what would happen if you were polled over at that speed in California. I have heard many things in the style of spending the night in jail, getting your license cancelled, getting the car impounded and many other horror stories. What is actually true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Hi Cyril.

I guess it´s infact all those things that makes it so exiting and wonderfull...
But ofcourse one would never like one of the things you mention to happen...

And I admit that when you hit the metal and go 150-180Mph you´r travelling with "death" on the back-seat
.

PS. But I would do it again tomorrow


Nille


Originally posted by cyril:
Don't flame me on that one, please. People on this board sometime talk about driving at speed close to 150mph (on a perfectly clear freeway). I wonder what would happen if you were polled over at that speed in California. I have heard many things in the style of spending the night in jail, getting your license cancelled, getting the car impounded and many other horror stories. What is actually true?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,144 Posts
My understanding is that your car is impounded, and you face some pretty hefty fines and possibly even jail time (although it would be very rare i should think) depending on the judge's decision.

You can pretty much bet that the car is gone, which is why you should speed only on 280, 101 or certain parts of 92.


If you're smart enough about it, you can get away with quite a bit, but don't expect to be hitting limiter for extended periods of time. Inevitably, some soccer mom is going to call the cops on her phone and you'll get nabbed.

Remember: you can't outrun radio waves!

--Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hi Nille,

What´s the fastest you have driven here in Denmark?? And where?? I´ve done a litlle speeding from Slagelse towards Copenhagen at night. But not much.

regards,

Mike, Denmark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
Hi Mike,

The fastest speed I´ve achieved in Denmark is 280 Km/h from Helsingoer towards Copenhagen. I´ve only passed the 300 Km/h mark two times in Germany... You need a looooooong road to get from 280 to 300 Km/h (remembering that you travel 5km per minute going 300 Km/h).

Nille


M5 2000 Carbonblack/Silverstone
19" Hartge Nova 5
Kelleners Suspension (20mm/10mm)
Kelleners Exhaust
Kelleners Powerchip and Speedmodule
BMW 2001 facelift

Originally posted by Mike/DK:
Hi Nille,

What´s the fastest you have driven here in Denmark?? And where?? I´ve done a litlle speeding from Slagelse towards Copenhagen at night. But not much.

regards,

Mike, Denmark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
just came back from a drive...took M5 to 150mph, touched it and stayed there for half a min, then there was some traffic ahead and i slowed down, otherwise was doing 135 for half an hour, the car felt so stable and accelerated so well at high speeds, its amazing...



------------------
SL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
Hi, my M5 is coming in January. It's finished manufacturing and now waiting for the ship to transport. I want to make use of this time to install Kelleners exhaust. What's your Kelleners exhaust system consists of (just rear muffler, or entire system from header?), and what's the sound like in low rpm (or standing idle), cruising highway, and pedal on floor(full throttle, high rpm)?
If you have sound file, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very very much.
Originally posted by Nille:
Hi Mike,

The fastest speed I´ve achieved in Denmark is 280 Km/h from Helsingoer towards Copenhagen. I´ve only passed the 300 Km/h mark two times in Germany... You need a looooooong road to get from 280 to 300 Km/h (remembering that you travel 5km per minute going 300 Km/h).

Nille


M5 2000 Carbonblack/Silverstone
19" Hartge Nova 5
Kelleners Suspension (20mm/10mm)
Kelleners Exhaust
Kelleners Powerchip and Speedmodule
BMW 2001 facelift

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
I can tell you the difference is huge !!
Have you been reading the article on this borad where they visit Kelleners ??? That article explains perfectly (with pictures) about the Kelleners exhaust system.

I don´t have any soundfiles, but maby some of the other guys on this board can help you there...

Have fun !

Nille


Originally posted by m5monster:
Hi, my M5 is coming in January. It's finished manufacturing and now waiting for the ship to transport. I want to make use of this time to install Kelleners exhaust. What's your Kelleners exhaust system consists of (just rear muffler, or entire system from header?), and what's the sound like in low rpm (or standing idle), cruising highway, and pedal on floor(full throttle, high rpm)?
If you have sound file, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very very much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
Maybe some of you guys south of the border can help with this one. There used to be a race in Nevada on a closed highway, about 100 miles long. I think they called it the Pony Express. I'm curious if anyone's participated in any M car before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,226 Posts
M5Monster,

Well it certainly seems like you will have a very interesting setup. Could you give us an overall feel for the horsepower increase and the ride quality. With this much modification and a car that allready performs to this level, it would be interesting to understand what modifications make the most sense for us common drivers. Mind you, I have had my M5 up to an indicated 160mph, which is a little off most peoples charts.

Look forward to your insight.

Mark

2000 carbon black
2001 LeMans blue on order
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
I've heard the race goes from Ely Nevada to Wendover If you find out more please E mail direct It's only 2 hours from where I live and I would love to give it a try

[This message has been edited by Ryno (edited 21 November 2000).]
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top