BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damnit.

Great day in the foothills yesterday- pushing it down to Amador county. (The CHP was flying over US 50, so I was good there.)

About 4 miles from home, not really going fast- and not paying attention. I was BEHIND ANOTHER CAR, but not close. I see the CHP on the opposite shoulder, and the car in front hits the brakes. me too. He pulls a U and flags me down. Says I was doing 70 and gaining on the other car who was doing 63. Writes me for 65 in a 55. Radar. PISS ANT.

Anyone with recommendations on effective techniques for dealing with this? I can do traffic school (and buy the GD V1!!) but I'd rather not. I've always viewed the 'one traffic school ticket' as a buffer. Next ticket is points...

A

PS Get this: my last ticket was 2 years ago. SAME COP, same county- about 10 miles apart, but CHP & not local! (He didn't remember- or at least no comments) I was absolutely stunned.

·
10,456 Posts
1. V1, as you already know, is mandatory!
2. CHP 11-99 foundation. I have spoken with several chp officers who have told me they do not write up 11-99 members, as a general rule.

These have kept me ticket free for the past 7 years (knocking on wood).
Mike

·
Registered
445 Posts
Completely agree with 2... it's saved me many times already.. even stopped once for going 105 down I-5 at 2am in the morning. Just a warning and have a safe drive from the CHP officer. :biggrin:

mottati said:
1. V1, as you already know, is mandatory!
2. CHP 11-99 foundation. I have spoken with several chp officers who have told me they do not write up 11-99 members, as a general rule.

These have kept me ticket free for the past 7 years (knocking on wood).
Mike

·
10,456 Posts
SANguru said:
Completely agree with 2... it's saved me many times already.. even stopped once for going 105 down I-5 at 2am in the morning. Just a warning and have a safe drive from the CHP officer. :biggrin:
I was also stopped, in my wife's car with the family on the way back from a trip (no 11-99 frame on her car). My "lifetime membership" is right behind my license, so both slip out at the same time, also have some of the other stuff, reg holder, in her car. He asked where we were coming from/going to, and have a safe trip.
Mike

·
Registered
383 Posts
excuse my ignorance, but what is "11-99?"

·
Registered
63 Posts
someday said:
excuse my ignorance, but what is "11-99?"
The CHP 11-99 foundation is set up to provide funds to the families of CHP officers lost in the line of duty. Check out this link: http://www.chp1199.org/INDEX2.HTM for more information.

I have not donated, but have heard that similare stories as Mottai and Sanguru relate. i think I might send some $$ in.

Can't agree more about having a V1 on board.

P

·
Registered
383 Posts
thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Go to traffic school. Buy a V1 and Lidatek. Join 11-99. Watch your six!

I am also an 11-99 foundation member.

Bear in mind that this is a CHP foundation, and is unlikely to help (and may work in the opposite way) if pulled over by the local police or Sheriff...

V1 and Lidatek are in order, friend.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hire an Atty with local contacts

Have him get for you the best deal he can; If it involves traffic school, I just did it in VA and while its a huge waste of time, you can't let points pile up.

Then, as stated here, get some protection, join the payola deal, and watch your back. :wroom:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: Hire an Atty with local contacts

Thanks for the input- the V1 is on order. (barn doors and all that...)

The 11-99 is a good tip- I never thought it worked.

I'd like to see if there is a way to fight it short of ruining the chance for traffic school. There are plenty of sites offering 'programs' to fight, but I don't want to fight it all the way and loose the option for traffic school.

Thanks guys

a

·
Registered
201 Posts
Does anyone know if Oregon or Washington has an organization similar to CHP 11-99?

Thanks.

/Rich

·
Registered
43 Posts
I too live in Nor Cal.

Take traffic school at this point. My wife contested her ticket speeding up 50 near Sunrise (80 in a 65.) We used the instructions on ticketassasin to do a written declaration. Not only did she get convicted for the ticket but she also got rejected for traffic school!!! (They CAN do that.) If you get another ticket after this one, you can fight it to the hilt, but now you have a free pass - just take it. Also, get a Radar detector. It has saved me sooo many times.

With regards to the 11-99 membership.. I know of someone who recieved a wreckless (misdameanor) with a 11-99 plate on his SL 600. Doing something like 95 on I5 North of Willows at 2 AM! It might be an angle but it is not a guarantee for driving like a jack-***.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Re: Hire an Atty with local contacts

My wife had fairly good luck about 2 years ago with ticketassassin.com. If you do a trial my written declaration, you have 2 chances. She got off her speeding ticket in her X5 due to a technicality.

ard said:
Thanks for the input- the V1 is on order. (barn doors and all that...)

The 11-99 is a good tip- I never thought it worked.

I'd like to see if there is a way to fight it short of ruining the chance for traffic school. There are plenty of sites offering 'programs' to fight, but I don't want to fight it all the way and loose the option for traffic school.

Thanks guys

a

·
Banned
300 Posts
Staying away from mainstream......look at Blinder M20 (laser scrambler) and BEL RX65 (radar detector) combination.

·
Registered
445 Posts
For individuals, it's only $1800. You also get a Tax ID so you can write this off on your taxes as a donation. So when it comes down to it, it's really not that much not to mention that it's for a really good cause.

lurkinglambo said:
CHP 11-99 Plates.....but dang the price is steep

·
Registered
23 Posts
SANguru said:
For individuals, it's only $1800. You also get a Tax ID so you can write this off on your taxes as a donation. So when it comes down to it, it's really not that much not to mention that it's for a really good cause.
I find it's so much easier to take one of a tourist bus parked outside your house at 2 am

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't know about the CHP, but what has worked for me in the past is to formally challenge the ticket in court. Demand a jury trial, demand due dilligence on the officer and the equipment used to estimate your speed. I have done this successfully for many tickets in several states, even one for "racing, a contest of speed" in fort worth texas. Typically the jurisdiction does not want to move the ticket forward due to the workload and cost of pursuit...

Cheers

Mike

·
Registered
175 Posts
V-1 is a must for radar detection. It , and any good radar detector, works great if you are not driving like a fool; i.e., if you are the only one on the road going way over the speed limit and the cop is using instant-on. Fopr laser you will need lidatek.
For fighting the ticket check out the website for the National Motorists Association (do a search as it is not just adding .com to the name). They have a kit you can rent that helps you fight a ticket. They also have referrals to lawyers in most states. Also worth joining up as their newsletter is quite useful in learning how and where the fight is going against radar, laser, red light photo radar, speed photo radar, etc. They are used more for revenue generation than for safety. You can learn the latest on what is going on in your state and local area. Well worth the small price to join.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts