BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Brian,

Great work! I have been following your detailing for several months and have started using your techniques and product selections on my own cars (I'm just a home detailer). I've got a 1991 Red E30, a 1993 Black E36, a 2005 Khaki X5 and last but by far my favorite.... a 1977 Black Pontiac Trans-Am.

I noticed on this detail you didn't use the Pinnacle Advance Finishing Polish. Any reason why? I just did my Red E30. I did the M105, The PAFP, then the SF4500 just like you use. I use a Griot's DA. It turned out beautiful and I was extremely happy with the final results. However I really had a hard time seeing any difference between the PAFP and the SF4500 step.

Thanks so much for your time!

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Brian,

Great work! I have been following your detailing for several months and have started using your techniques and product selections on my own cars (I'm just a home detailer). I've got a 1991 Red E30, a 1993 Black E36, a 2005 Khaki X5 and last but by far my favorite.... a 1977 Black Pontiac Trans-Am.

I noticed on this detail you didn't use the Pinnacle Advance Finishing Polish. Any reason why? I just did my Red E30. I did the M105, The PAFP, then the SF4500 just like you use. I use a Griot's DA. It turned out beautiful and I was extremely happy with the final results. However I really had a hard time seeing any difference between the PAFP and the SF4500 step.

Thanks so much for your time!
I actually have stopped using the Pinnacle Advanced finishing polish on a lot of my multi step corrections. The reason is simply that I am able to achieve a good enough finish after the compounding step, that I simply don't need to use the Pinnacle. The SF4500 is a milder abrasive, and yields a higher gloss so that has been my go to product.

If I had a situation where my compounding step left a lot of haze or defects, then I would go for an in between step like the Pinnacle, or Menzerna's SF4000 before the SF4500.

To answer your question/comment regarding not seeing more gloss from the SF4500, this makes sense. Your paint is single stage, which means it's base coat (color coat) pigmented with clear. The SF4500 is primarily designed to burnish clear coats to the highest possible gloss. The look of single stage paint is different than that of a more modern base/clear coat paint. Also, your single stage paint responds very well to the oils in the Pinnacle polish, and at that point, additional polishing steps are not needed IMO. You might opt for a coat of two of Meguiar's #7 show car glaze, it is EXCELLENT on single stage paints. You can then top that with a wax of your choice.

Be VERY careful of edges if you're using a PFW pad, and 105. That combo is very abrasive on your already thinning single stage paint, and it will easily burn through edges. It's a good idea to tape off all edges and high spots in the paint for the compounding stage, and use only your finishing polish over these surfaces.

Hope that helped!

Brian

·
Registered
493 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the response, I greatly appreciate your thoughts!

One last question for you. Have you tried the Menzerna FG400 by any chance? When I ordered the M105 from AutoGeek they tried to persuade me into buying the FG400. They said it finishes better than the M105. I thought the FG400 might be too strong? Just curious if you had any experience with it.

FYI - I used a LCC orange pad with the M105.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Awesome! Thanks for the response, I greatly appreciate your thoughts!

One last question for you. Have you tried the Menzerna FG400 by any chance? When I ordered the M105 from AutoGeek they tried to persuade me into buying the FG400. They said it finishes better than the M105. I thought the FG400 might be too strong? Just curious if you had any experience with it.

FYI - I used a LCC orange pad with the M105.

Thanks again.
I have not used the FG400 so I can't say for certain. However, with a PFW pad I can get M105 to finish damn near LSP ready. (LSP is detailer speak for Last Step Product, ie. a wax or sealant)

I was under the impression that the abrasives in M105 were stronger than FG400, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I've been gushing over all the detailing threads, and can't wait to bring mine in tomorrow for paint correction!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts