BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When does your speed limiter come on ????

Mine either doesn't work or it is not fitted as I have regularly seen the needle on the speedo over 180 and to to confirm this the constant speed on the obc and satnav was reading 173.

I have heard different stories about 155 speed limiters, some fitted some not etc etc. Is it possible to find out if my particular car has a limiter fitted (and has it has been by-passed). Mine is an early 3.8 first reg 01/01/93 last five chassis 00078.

On the 535d, the limiter comes on very obviously at 155 (however I don't think the car would go much more anyway as it starts to run out of puff near to 150).

I have also heard that later models (e39 and e60) have a higher limiter around the 170mph mark, is this true??

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
Hi Rick ,

It appears that your particular 3.8 is not limited .....perhaps she has had the limiting cable disconnected or is one of the earlier cars without the limiter at all .

Typically , a limited 3.8 will back off at approx 155mph or whatever the speedo indicates at that true speed ( in my experience around 165mph indicated ) .

D

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have had the cable disconnected in mine and the car should reach somewhere close to 170 mph on a GPS. It is a simple job and takes 20 seconds to disconnect / reconnect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts