BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speed Limiter...Why the Hell?

Help me understand the logic behind the speed limiter BMW, as well as other premium car manufactures, install on their vehicles.

It was a beautiful sunny day on Friday here in the St. Louis area. I decided to take the M for a stroll. I passed over the river into Illinois as started to drive south along the Mississippi. There are two areas where the road is flat, long, and very smooth south of the city. Beautiful day, no cars, and an M; this is a very dangerous combination. On this seductive stretch of road I hit that annoying limiter three times! Why, why does BMW torture us with this silly little device/

A friend chalked it up to litigation issues. I don’t buy it. Is BMW less “liable” if I wreck my vehicle at 140 mph versus 170 mph? What’s the logic?

Anyway, time for Powerchip…

Cheers,
JTG

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Re: Speed Limiter...Why the Hell?

The limit is in there due to a "Green party" pact that the major German car manufacturers (Audi, BMW, MB) signed to help limit the emissions produced I beleive. There is technically no law that says they must have it, but these 3 manufactuers all continue to stand by it. Maybe they get some sort of break on taxes or gov. grants for doing it?

·
Registered
2,071 Posts

I believe the speed limited so you don't overrun the speed rating of the tires. Z rated tires are "above 149". Since V is the highest true speed rated tire of 149, BMW can only be assured that Z rated tires meet this speed rating, although many exceed the speed rating Z rated tires are really either W (168MPH) or Y (186MPH). An explanation is:

"Any tire with a speed capability above 149 mph(240(kph) can, at the tire manufacturer's option, include a "ZR" in the size designation (P275/40ZR17). If a service description IS NOT included with the size description, the tire manufacturer must be consulted for the maximum speed capability(P275/40ZR17--speed capability is >149mph). If a service description IS included with the size description, the speed capability is limited by the speed symbol in the service description (P275/40ZR17 93W = maximum speed 168 mph(270kph).)"

http://www.tiresafety.com/size_class/size_nav2a.htm#srcharact

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

I belive Y is acually the highest speed rating of 186 mph.

Bmw set it to 155mph because that is as high as they test them to, and know at that speed its safe, above that they do not know. At least that is their stand. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts

Interesting.

Thanks jayson and Digi for the insights.

R/
War

·
Registered
6,353 Posts

Its the same concept as teh seatbelt, its mandatory to use them for your safety!

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts

TCM is correct.

The 155mph speed limiter is due to an agreement between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. If they hadn't made an agreement, the German government would have been forced to make a law. This agreement is very similar to the one between the Japanese manufacturers not to build cars with in excess of 280hp.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I dont think it has anything to do with tires. As said before its because of the Gentlemans Agreement made by the premium german car manufactures.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
if you think about it..i think its a bit of all of these..

in the old days (a couple of years ago)

155 seemed like a good speed to cap cars at (cept porsche..they unlimit their cars)

Now that cars can easily go past the 155 barrier..i think its a liability deal as well as a tire thing perhaps

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Yes, it is politics. BMW M manager said in order to have unlimited Autobahns in Germany this is the concession they have to do.

Although the deliberitely make it very easy to renove the limiter.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Gustav said:
Yes, it is politics. BMW M manager said in order to have unlimited Autobahns in Germany this is the concession they have to do.

Although the deliberitely make it very easy to renove the limiter.
Really? Pray Tell
WillM5AD

·
Registered
268 Posts

kees said:
This agreement is very similar to the one between the Japanese manufacturers not to build cars with in excess of 280hp.
Does it exist an agreement between Japanese manufacturers? I thought it was only due to the extreme HP tax which starts at 281hp.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

kees said:
TCM is correct.

The 155mph speed limiter is due to an agreement between BMW, Audi and Mercedes. If they hadn't made an agreement, the German government would have been forced to make a law. This agreement is very similar to the one between the Japanese manufacturers not to build cars with in excess of 280hp.

you know there has and is quite a few jap cars that have 300 plus hp.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts

Jayson said:
you know there has and is quite a few jap cars that have 300 plus hp.
Not on those produced for the Japanese market. Many of them have only 280hp on paper...but when you put them on a bench they surprisingly have more.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts

kees said:
Not on those produced for the Japanese market. Many of them have only 280hp on paper...but when you put them on a bench they surprisingly have more.
300zx, newer 350z limited coming are two that come to mind that have/had over 300 hp. Both advertised and truely.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts

Opposite_Lock said:
It's not for all the German premium marques. Porsche is conspicuously absent.
I thought Porsche was 'abscent' because they are a 'small volume' manufacturer.

How about VW, does anyone know if they adhere to the 155 limit as well? I know most of their cars won't make it power-wise, but the Phaeton surely has sufficient horses to exceed 155 MPH. hmmm hmmm And they sell a lot of cars in Europe.

CP

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mardeth said:
I dont think it has anything to do with tires. As said before its because of the Gentlemans Agreement made by the premium german car manufactures.
It was an agreement with the German govt because the govt was considering placing speed limits on the autobhans. Only Porsche aren't included in this deal.
It's not because of tyres or anything else.

·
Administrator
8,803 Posts

Jayson said:
300zx, newer 350z limited coming are two that come to mind that have/had over 300 hp. Both advertised and truely.
The hp agreement was for Japanese-market cars.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts