BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Out of interest, I phoned my dealer this morning (mine is a UK car ordered through a German dealer). Asked them about the removal of the Speed Limiter. It is an option! but you have to pay EUR 2,155.

Now if the engine fails you will probably have to pay for a new one as it voids the warranty - NOT SURE WHY??!!??

What is annoying is that it is such a publicised thing that it's a 200+mph car, but the very company who makes it won't cover you if you break the engine.

What if this limiter was removed but you didn't break the engine doing 155mph+ ?? I'm assuming the ECU has logging of some sort like most new cars do - but would they ever tell you?

For Warranty, usually if something like the power steering system fails and parts need to be replaced I believe the manufacturer still has to replace these parts - anyone had any experience of something similar??

I'm very tempted to have it done. Be interested in others thoughts...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Does the speed limiter remove the rev limiter? Probably no. So what's the danger of hurting the engine or drive train or other part of the vehicle? Is there something about driving over 155MPH that is a problem mechanically for the vehicle? If they want to charge you that kind of money and claim the warranty is voided, I think you are entitled to an explanation.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speed limiter would be a limiter based on road speed/driveshaft speed I would imagine - no rev limit as you can obvisouly rev it to over 8000 in most gears.

The guy told me they are getting a LOT of 'potential' customers for the M6, but don't like the idea of Porsche's overtaking them when they hit 250km/h on the Autobahn.

I know there has been some press recently about the removal of limiters, but I don't understand why BMW still has theirs when a number of other manufacturers don't have to have speed limiters!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can this be done at the dealership instead of the factory?
Thank you.:flag:

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
I think we should get this confirmed from more sources. Rumours are:

BMW M5 speed limiter removal:

Fahrertraining
Rear spoiler have tpo be in place

·
Registered
67 Posts
Gustav said:
I think we should get this confirmed from more sources. Rumours are:

BMW M5 speed limiter removal:

Fahrertraining
Rear spoiler have tpo be in place
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't BMW do the same thing with the M3 CSL? I think to have the limiter removed one had to show a racing license, no?
When driving at +250 it's not a bad idea to have had some training. I guess the people at BMW have the same idea. Not because M5-owners are bad drivers but imagine if BMW didn't impose some restrictions and there was a wave of accidents with unrestricted M5's, wouldn't be approved of in Germany (especially by the green party). Think it's all down to politics, the primary reason why German carmakers imposed themselves a limit at 250 in the first place. Understandably annoying for experienced drivers like many on the m5board but defendable as a manufacturer.

EUR 2,155 from factory does that include the Fahrertraining and the spoiler?:)

·
Registered
375 Posts
latest word I got from my dealer who spoke to his rep at the factory: It will not be offered in US or Europe, the cars will be limited. Instead, go to Hartge and buy their de-limiter box (2500 euro), no driver training required!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

I spoke to Sedrick (spelling?) at Hartge today about the removal of the limiter.

They remove the limiter for you for EUR 2,500 (plus 16% taxes) - that includes installation.

Good news (which some of you may already know)...They will provide a warranty for you on the engine and driveline! (which would be 2 years assuming you did it when you purchased the car - same warranty period then as BMW Germany).

He said that in 6th gear you can pull 8,500rpm. In 7th gear flat out will be 6,000-7,000 rpm.

He sounded very confident about the engine/driveline holding together!

He thinks that by having the limiter removed it would void all other warranty claims on the car from BMW. For example if something went wrong with the brakes and they found the limiter had been removed then BMW would not honour it - which is sad, but I would also like to have this confirmed by BMW themselves, ANYONE?

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Hmm, interesting. But I beleive that ONLY removing a speedlimiter is not a criteria BMW M would deny compensation for. am not sure on this however. Chipping and raising the rev limiter etc, that is another story.

Remember: BMW made it easy to remove the limiter for aftermarket companies..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bart B said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't BMW do the same thing with the M3 CSL? I think to have the limiter removed one had to show a racing license, no?
When driving at +250 it's not a bad idea to have had some training. I guess the people at BMW have the same idea. Not because M5-owners are bad drivers but imagine if BMW didn't impose some restrictions and there was a wave of accidents with unrestricted M5's, wouldn't be approved of in Germany (especially by the green party). Think it's all down to politics, the primary reason why German carmakers imposed themselves a limit at 250 in the first place. Understandably annoying for experienced drivers like many on the m5board but defendable as a manufacturer.

EUR 2,155 from factory does that include the Fahrertraining and the spoiler?:)
You are right. When I ordered my CSL, I had to show racing license and sign. papers where I know that the simi-slicks had limitet tracktions in cold and wet weather. My do +295 on the tacho, and I will tell you, that it is fast.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts