BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I would like to say a big thank you to Mathmos from www.e60.net for the info and for helping me getting mine working.

Right some pics first.....

Listing the Gatso's positions

South London

South London a bit closer

and here's one of Mathmos pic's

So this is how you can do it.....

Before you start go to www.pocketgpsworld.com and download the latest speed camera database. It costs around £2 a month or £19 a year. Click on Speed Cameras on the top menu and select 'other' in the drop down chart. You need to download one in a asc format.

1. Create an image of the NAV DVD using DVD Decrypter.

2. Open the iso file for edit (I used UltraISO) and extract the file \tpd\ntcBeu_eu.04.II_20040726\eng\eng.lsc to your local hard disk.

3. Edit the extracted eng.lsc file with a text editor. Wordpad or notepad won't do, I used VEdit.

4. Look for the "TPD-CAT" lines and add a new one for the category you want to add. eg.
TPD-CAT 7395 N Rest areas
TPD-CAT 9101 N Golf clubs
becomes
TPD-CAT 7395 N Rest areas
TPD-CAT 9000 N UK Speed Cameras
TPD-CAT 9101 N Golf clubs

5. Near the top of the eng.lsc file look for the "TPD-GRP" lines and add the new category to one of them eg.
TPD-GRP 10001 41012 7366 7384 7379 7352 7312 9108 41001 7395 7316
becomes
TPD-GRP 10001 41012 7366 7384 7379 7352 7312 9000 9108 41001 7395 7316

6. Look for the "TPD-ICO" lines and add a new one for the new category eg.
TPD-ICO 7395 /icons/poi_rest_area.gif
TPD-ICO 9101 /icons/poi_golf_course.gif
becomes
TPD-ICO 7395 /icons/poi_rest_area.gif
TPD-ICO 9000 /icons/poi_speed_camera.gif
TPD-ICO 9101 /icons/poi_golf_course.gif

7. Look for the "TPD-SEA" lines and add a new one for the new category modifying the numbers accordingly.
TPD-SEA 7395 http://tpdhost/cgi/form?templ=/eng/...3N&UNIT=%23%23U
TPD-SEA 9101 http://tpdhost/cgi/form?templ=/eng/...3N&UNIT=%23%23U
becomes
TPD-SEA 7395 http://tpdhost/cgi/form?templ=/eng/...3N&UNIT=%23%23U
TPD-SEA 9000 http://tpdhost/cgi/form?templ=/eng/...3N&UNIT=%23%23U
TPD-SEA 9101 http://tpdhost/cgi/form?templ=/eng/...3N&UNIT=%23%23U

8. Save the eng.lsc file and copy it back into the correct location in the iso file opened for edit in Step 2.

9. Copy the icon you want to use (the icon must be a 16x16 pixels 256 colors GIF image with transparency) into the \tpd\ntcBeu_eu.04.II_20040726\icons directory in the iso file opened for edit in Step 2.

10. Extract the sf_9101.htm and the st_9101.htm files from the tpd\ntcBeu_eu.04.II_20040726\eng amd rename them accordingly, sf_9000.htm and st_9000.htm in this case.

11. Download the perl script file provided by Mathmos HERE and using the .asc file containing the uk speed camera locations obtained from pocketgpsworld.com, create the idx and url files.
If like me you have no idea about using perl, download cygwin from www.cygwin.com and make sure you select the perl modules when installing it. Find the cygwin folder on your hardrive and open it. In there you should have a folder called Home, open that and open the next folder (mine was called Darren, so I guess it will be your name or the PC's name). Put the perl file and the asc file you downloaded into that folder. Now run cygwin (icon on desktop) and type..
perl createidxurl.pl pocketgps_uk_gatso.asc 9000 (press return)
pocketgps_UK_gatso was the file name to my asc file so change that to whatever your asc file is named as. You should now have a idx and a url file in that folder.
Some IT geek will more than likely start droning on about perl and start telling how I should have done it 'this way' but this system worked so naa :hairypoke:

12. Look in the tpd\ntcBeu_eu.04.II_20040726\tables\0 directory and find the last .idx and .url files listed. On my DVD they were 0097.idx and 0098.url.

13. Rename the idx and url files generated in step 10. accordingly eg. 0099.idx and 0100.url in my case and then copy them back into the correct location in the iso file.

14. Go back and edit the sf_9000.htm and st_9000.htm that you created in Step 9. Change all occurances of 9101 to 9000, change the idx and url references to the filenames you used in step 11. and change any relevant text to what you want eg. Golf clubs becomes Speed Cameras. Once done copy them back into the correct location in the iso file.

15. Right click on the ISO image name and select Properties. In the CD File Section ensure only ISO 9660, Joliet and UDF are ticked. In the ISO 9660 FileName Format section select the Windows/Unix(31) option and leave the other options alone. In The Joliet FileName Format Section select the Extended(110) option. On the Date/Time tab tick the Creation and Modification boxes but do nothing else. Now press OK to save these preferences.

16. Save the edited iso image.

17. Burn the iso image to DVD. I used DVD Decrypter.

Once you have done one it's basicly all setup ready for the next time you download a new camera update so it's very simple to keep updating and burning a new dvd.

I've tried it on a M5, a 535d and a 1 series and all is fine.

·
Registered
239 Posts
A B S O L U T E L Y BRILLIANT!

:cheers:

I'm looking forward to make a similar work for the Greek Nav map...

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
wow, sorry, it's WAY over my head, interesting though...thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
theob said:
A B S O L U T E L Y BRILLIANT!

:cheers:

I'm looking forward to make a similar work for the Greek Nav map...
Yep, just use the greek folder and not the eng (english) folder

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfoundhorsepower said:
wow, sorry, it's WAY over my head, interesting though...thanks
It's really not that hard at all. Trust me I'm not a IT person, I don't even know how to use the likes of excel.

If you download the software needed and follow it step by step you'll be surprised how easy it is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
need that here in california, USA

need to get GPS on cop cars. that would be great for m5 owners and criminals. ahahhahah

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speed Camera Icon

DazzaM said:
9. Copy the icon you want to use (the icon must be a 16x16 pixels 256 colors GIF image with transparency) into the \tpd\ntcBeu_eu.04.II_20040726\icons directory in the iso file opened for edit in Step 2.
Great stuff, but... I'm probably being dumb here, but from where do you get the speed camera icon? I've searched the net, and found plenty of images, but nothing in the correct format. And then when I edit it down to the 16x16 pixel size it looks a mess. Help!

And I haven't even got to to the cygwin stuff yet!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Got that done, up and working. Great hack and worth the couple of hours spent pulling it all together. Can definitely recommend getting DVD Decrypter, UltraISO, and Vedit before you start. All available as free trial software although you will need to buy UltraISO from the outset as the trial version has a maximum save file size that will not accomodate the BMW DVD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry guys, I've not been around much. Glad you found a Gatso icon, I just found one doing a search on google and then resizing it in Photoshop.

Now you have cracked it don't forget you can now add POI's for anything as long as you can get the database.

I know people have now added everything from National Trust sites to McDonalds.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Just wanted to let aussie members know that these instructions work great for the Australian DVD Sat Nav as well!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow, tharts cool.

I had this idea a few years ago. I mean, a nav system can show us where golf courses are, and there are maps that show locations for speed cameras. I put together that and figured, why the hell cant it show up when we are coming up on a speed camera.

Glad to see someone else had the same idea!

·
Registered
321 Posts
MGUY said:
Man i wish we could locate police cars like that!!!! Too bad in Toronto there's not many speed cameras only red light cameras.
You can use it for red light cameras too!

In fact I thought McD might publish their list and we can have the golden arches on our maps!

What would be great is for a proximity alarm - something flash on the HUD when we are approaching a camera...

Maybe in the next version :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts