BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just had my car up on the ramps to fit some exhaust rubbers and check out any damage from a dodgy speed bump...

I'm putting my claim in to the Council once I've got a photo of the offending bump itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
M8 that is horrible :( The sound must have been sickening. Hope you manage to get the cash from the council. Someone I know hit a big pothole which buckled both his front wheels and puntured the tyres which they payed out for but my brother recently had a tree fall on his car and the council have been very reluctant to admit liability. Good luck.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bastards, the council are a nightmare, we have thousands of speed bumps and they dont give a rats arse about the drivers of cars. Get a letter drafted up then have it checked by a good lawyer who would probably say can we do this for you sir on a no win no pay service or they will claim their costs from the council. Either way you cannot lose by allowing the lawyer to see the letter then put cc on the letter to the lawyers so that the council know that you are not prepared to let this go by. andy

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, this is what I'm sending once I get a photo of the speed bump - it's not in the best area of Liverpool, so I don't want to stand around taking photos.

mmm-five said:
Dear Sirs,

I would like to claim compensation for damage to my vehicle by one of your ‘traffic calming’ devices on Millwood Road, Speke, L24.

At approximately 5:30pm on Saturday 23rd February, I was driving to a relative on Eastern Avenue, Speke via Millwood Road at or below the 20mph limit and had successfully crossed a series of ‘speed bumps’ when I came to another near Oldbridge Road, the negotiation of which cause severe grinding noises to come form the bottom of the car. There is no option of using another route to get to my destination as all other routes are also fitted with these monstrosities.

I’ve since had the vehicle on a ramp/lift and the damage appears to be a heavily scored oil pan/sump (approx £380 plus fitting), and two heavily scored suspension wishbones (approx £180 each plus fitting). There also seems to be secondary damage along the length of the exhaust system and catalytic convertors, which cannot be assessed except for cosmetic damage, without removal, and possible damage to air-con pump/belt as this is now squealing when engaged.

I would be grateful if you could send me the details of your insurers, relevant forms you will need me to complete, and any evidence you wish me to provide to expedite this claim, so that I can inform my dealer to go ahead with the repairs at the earliest opportunity.

Please note that these examinations have been carried out by me, although the parts prices are from BMW Liverpool. If you need an ‘official’ estimate/quote from BMW Liverpool then please let me know and I will arrange for this to be provided at your expense once the claim is underway.

I have enclosed copies of photographs of the damage to the oil pan & wishbones, and said ‘speed bump’ to help you assess this damage.

Please respond within 28 days or I will be forced to take legal action or contact one of those dreadful ‘claim management’ companies to process my claim for me.

Yours sincerely,
mmm-five

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Great letter Tony ......just one typo .....near the top , form should read from !

Be careful taking the photo m8 !

D

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Good

Get medieval on them!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got a response from them. Only to tell me that my 28 days expectation is unrealistic and their charter and government guidelines gives them 90 days to process this claim.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even though I didn't get any cash of of the council, they have started to strip the bumps out :woowoo:

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Even though I didn't get any cash of of the council, they have started to strip the bumps out :woowoo:
Tony , did you read the article in this month's BMWCC Magazine whereby somebody damaged their rim and tyre on a huge pothole ?

They initially approached the council and met resolute resistance and a whole host of legal arguements against their claim which they subsequently progressed to the small claims court .

The council utilised their vast resources to fight the claim , making things as difficult as possible , until , eventually the claimant dropped the case .

Believing everything to be over , the initial claimant was shocked to discover that the council then brought a massive claim for costs against them and was eventually awarded part of these costs by the court at a labour rate of £52 per hour administrational costs etc

Oh dear .......

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tony , did you read the article in this month's BMWCC Magazine whereby somebody damaged their rim and tyre on a huge pothole ?

They initially approached the council and met resolute resistance and a whole host of legal arguements against their claim which they subsequently progressed to the small claims court .

The council utilised their vast resources to fight the claim , making things as difficult as possible , until , eventually the claimant dropped the case .

Believing everything to be over , the initial claimant was shocked to discover that the council then brought a massive claim for costs against them and was eventually awarded part of these costs by the court at a labour rate of £52 per hour administrational costs etc

Oh dear .......
Yes, I saw that, and it made me glad that I didn't bother.

It's a pity when the rules state they can't claim excessive costs, and then the court says something different.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes, I saw that, and it made me glad that I didn't bother.

It's a pity when the rules state they can't claim excessive costs, and then the court says something different.
The entire process definitely favours the experienced and not necessarily the righteous !

D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts