BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am aware that Icelink can display id3 tags through the nav and obc and use steeringwheel controls.... I am also aware that you can turn off the display and control the ipod manually using it in the same fashion as if it was in an aux port... Now my question is - can you use the icelink in a way where the song title and info are displayed on the ipod screen (nowhere else) but still control it through the steering wheel controls? I think someone with an icelink is going to have to answer this. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Pzycho said:
Okay, I am aware that Icelink can display id3 tags through the nav and obc and use steeringwheel controls.... I am also aware that you can turn off the display and control the ipod manually using it in the same fashion as if it was in an aux port... Now my question is - can you use the icelink in a way where the song title and info are displayed on the ipod screen (nowhere else) but still control it through the steering wheel controls? I think someone with an icelink is going to have to answer this. Thanks in advance!
ID3 tag display requires the iceLink to be in it's native UI mode. This mode requires ALL control to be through the steering wheel controls or NAV controls.

Apple UI mode is when the iceLink is controlled via the iPod's controlls itself. Apple UI mode STILL gives you steering wheel controls for volume, track forward/reverse, and seek forward/reverse. The same corrolating buttons on the NAV also week. You get no ID3 display however.

Native UI is designed to be used with playlists. If you don't use playlists, then you have to manually track up/down through every song in your iPod. You can't do it based on category like you can if you use Apple UI mode and control it with the iPod itself.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Run it with the song numbers displaying on the instrument cluster, and that's it. Icelink has a lame display which interferes with the NAV and the instrument cluster display sucks too. They really overpromised and underdelivered if you ask me. I don't use playlists but rather just FF and RR thru my entire library and that's fine with me. My Ipod is in the trunk too. PM me if you have more Qs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts