BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looked around the forum and found some useful info, but wanted to ask incased I missed something. My mechanic who's never done and M5 clutch job, but doing it for free (mechanic friend that works at Ford and part time out of his house) has done 15 or so 3 series and Z3 clutches, but never a M5. He was asking questions like, is there a special tool to unlock the self adjusting clutch? Any special tools needed for the dual mass flywheel-take off and install? He may have since found his answers, but I wanted to put it out there. Some of these questions may sound foolish, espeically coming from a mechanic, but he just wanted to be sure. :confused2 Worked on my family's cars for years. Knows what he's doing, but double checking I guess. Also, where can I get torque specifications for a clutch and flywheel job? I ordered LUK for both. Didn't want to assume all of those details were already with the kits. If anyone can help me or alleviate some confuse, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I used 3 special tools and I would never do the job without then though they can be improvised:

1. Special T60 Torx bit for removing the flywheel (the holes are offset so you can't just use a plain T60)
2. Flywheel lock tool (very handy, it took tremendous torque to break the bolts loose on mine)
3. Pilot bearing puller

I purchased all 3 tools new and sold them for a decent buck after the install.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flywheel lock tool and pilot bearing tool universal or E39 specific? Where did you purchase these from? So nothing special about unlocking the self-adjusting clutch? (not sure what he meant by that, just quoting him)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Flywheel lock tool and pilot bearing tool universal or E39 specific? Where did you purchase these from? So nothing special about unlocking the self-adjusting clutch? (not sure what he meant by that, just quoting him)
Because I used an impact gun to remove, I didn't need the flywheel lock tool although it would have been nice.

Out of the box, the self-adjusting clutch comes locked in place. You only need a large Allen Wrench to unlock it, or a bolt head will do. I tried to make the lock mechanism because I wanted to reuse my existing clutch but my efforts failed. In any case, the lock mechanism resembles (somewhat) the one I made below.

I made the "Allen" out of round stock. It took forever because I'm not a machinist and it took me a while to get re-acclimated with the mill. A simple bolt would have been fifty times faster and worked just as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
I’ve responded to your post in the other thread. I’ve done this job about 5 times now and can provide assistance if needed. Your mechanic is more than welcome to give me a call if he has any questions. Send me a PM for my phone number if needed.

John

·
Registered
184 Posts
Bookmark this or even print it out for him: Vantaam's Clutch DIY

The one big warning for your mechanic on this one REMOVE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR before removing transmission! Not just "Disconnect". People break that part a lot.

Agreed! And note the position of the flywheel! There is a dowel and the flywheel has one larger hole it goes into but the flywheel will still go on any oreintation. Had the transmission installed in mine and realized this and had to take it back out again. :mad:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bookmark this or even print it out for him: Vantaam's Clutch DIY

The one big warning for your mechanic on this one REMOVE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR before removing transmission! Not just "Disconnect". People break that part a lot.
+1. Good advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts