BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a limited time, StopTech has given Zeckhausen Racing permission to offer a $1,000 discount on their 4-Wheel big brake kit to members of the M5 forum. The kit is normally $4995. With this discount it is now priced at $3995. Between now and the SEMA show, Zeckhausen Racing will also offer free UPS Ground shipping on these kits to customers within the United States (except Alaska & Hawaii). If you've been waiting to buy a big brake kit, this is your chance! The StopTech brake kit offers terrific pedal feel and has been track tested and optimized with proper caliper piston sizing to minimize stopping distance.

Rear E46 M3 kit shown

The StopTech big brake kit consists of 14" x 1.26" (355mm x 32mm) slotted rotors at all four corners. The calipers are 4-piston and come loaded with Axxis Ultimate street pads. Race friction is available in a wide variety of choices. The front and rear calipers use the same size pads, so picking the right balance of race friction is made easy. If a pad is available for the front, by definition it is also available for the rear.

Note: you will require aftermarket wheels to clear the rear calipers on this brake kit. For a partial list of wheels known to fit, see my wheel gallery at: http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E39_installation_photos.htm

Drilled rotors are available as a $200 option. However, if you intend to take your car to the track, we strongly suggest you use slotted rotors. Drilled rotors tend to have a shorter life on the track than plain or slotted. On the street, this is not an issue.

To order your kit, send an email to [email protected] and include your phone number and address. Let us know if you want RED, BLACK, or SILVER calipers and indicate your preference for SLOTTED or DRILLED rotors. Please be sure to mention your affiliation with the M5 Board so that we know to give you the discount. An electronic invoice will be emailed which you may pay (securely) on-line with a major credit card or, if you prefer, you may call us at (973)761-5054 with your payment details. There is normally a wait of about one week for orders to be shipped (Silver calipers may require up to 30 days). However, we have several kits in stock in red or black available for immediate shipment.

See: http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E39_M5.htm for our full line of BMW M5 products.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Dave, this is a wonderful opportunity, but would you consider placing a GB on the StopTech FRONT ONLY kit for those of us that love and want to keep our STOCK WHEELS.

Thanks Dave!
Robert

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1badm5 said:
Dave, this is a wonderful opportunity, but would you consider placing a GB on the StopTech FRONT ONLY kit for those of us that love and want to keep our STOCK WHEELS.
I was given permission by StopTech to advertise the $1,000 discount on the 4-wheel kit. Normally, StopTech (and Brembo) don't allow any advertising under list price. Because the StopTech 4-wheel kit requires aftermarket wheels, it wasn't moving as well as it otherwise would have. Brembo can fit under stock 18" M5 wheels if you use 3mm spacers all around. And the recent addition of Dinan to the market with a rebadged Brembo kit (albiet with different pads) put additional pressure on the market niche for 4-wheel upgrades for the E39 M5. A deep discount off the already low price of the StopTech 4-wheel kit allows you to upgrade your brakes and have $2,095 left over for upgraded wheels. It doesn't exactly pay for a set of lightweight Dinan forged wheels ($1000 each! Ouch!). But it does cover the cost of a set of Speedline 1908 or Breyton Magic Racing wheels. So you can upgrade your brakes to Dinan for $6,090 or you can get the StopTech kit and set of new wheels for the same money.

While I can't advertise the front kit at less than list, it's completely up to me what I sell it for. If you contact me off-line, I'll be glad to give you an attractive price quote.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
it's a shame it dont' fit under the stock wheels or I think I'd be down.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jayson said:
it's a shame it dont' fit under the stock wheels or I think I'd be down.
That's the very reason it was marked down by $1,000.

I'm also a Brembo dealer, so keep in mind that you can contact me for a price quote on that system as well. Just fire off an email to [email protected] and mention that you are on the M5 board. Make sure you let me know what you want, including caliper color and rotor preference.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
That's the very reason it was marked down by $1,000.

I'm also a Brembo dealer, so keep in mind that you can contact me for a price quote on that system as well. Just fire off an email to [email protected] and mention that you are on the M5 board. Make sure you let me know what you want, including caliper color and rotor preference.
I didn't think brembo allowed any varience in price by their dealers.

You dont' have to answer that publicly of course.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jayson said:
I didn't think brembo allowed any varience in price by their dealers.

You dont' have to answer that publicly of course.
Brembo is very clear that their dealers cannot ADVERTISE below list price. But there's nothing to prevent a Brembo dealer from SELLING below list price. The final sales price is between the retailer and his/her customer. If Brembo begins to receive complaints from other dealers that someone is consistantly selling at a deep discount, then they may give that dealer a warning and ultimately cut them off. In the end, Brembo must look after the interests of their network of dealers. But there's room for some healthy competition.

Given that my friend Daniel (Beastpower) is also a Brembo dealer, I don't intend to cut my Brembo prices to the bone just to gain market share at his expense. My goal is to differentiate my business based on my ability to support the products after the sale as well as to help my customer choose the best solution fit for their needs in the first place. The agressive StopTech brake strategy is in response to the market entry of Dinan who is now selling rebadged Brembo brakes with different pads.

By the way, StopTech has asked that I end the $1,000 discount on November 24th.

B

·
0 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Brembo is very clear that their dealers cannot ADVERTISE below list price. But there's nothing to prevent a Brembo dealer from SELLING below list price. The final sales price is between the retailer and his/her customer. If Brembo begins to receive complaints from other dealers that someone is consistantly selling at a deep discount, then they may give that dealer a warning and ultimately cut them off. In the end, Brembo must look after the interests of their network of dealers. But there's room for some healthy competition.

Given that my friend Daniel (Beastpower) is also a Brembo dealer, I don't intend to cut my Brembo prices to the bone just to gain market share at his expense. My goal is to differentiate my business based on my ability to support the products after the sale as well as to help my customer choose the best solution fit for their needs in the first place. The agressive StopTech brake strategy is in response to the market entry of Dinan who is now selling rebadged Brembo brakes with different pads.

By the way, StopTech has asked that I end the $1,000 discount on November 24th.
Well said, and perfectly correct.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Zeckhausen Racing will be closed next week (November 1-5) to attend the SEMA show in Las Vegas. Orders placed as late as 2PM on Friday of this week can be shipped out the same day. At the moment, we still have kits in red and black. Any orders placed next week will be shipped the following Monday.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm working with StopTech to negotiate the same $1,000 off sale for the E46 M3 4-wheel kit. I'll be meeting them at SEMA and will post the results when I get back.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DZeckhausen said:
I'm working with StopTech to negotiate the same $1,000 off sale for the E46 M3 4-wheel kit. I'll be meeting them at SEMA and will post the results when I get back.
I just got off the phone with Bob Lee, General Manager of StopTech. As of today, the sale also applies to the E46 M3 4-wheel StopTech brake kit. And the sale has been extended until December 25. :)

So, the E39 4-wheel kit is reduced from $4995 to $3995. And the E46 M3 4-wheel kit is also reduced from $4995 to $3995.

This $1000 discount only applies to those two kits. Contact me off line for price quotes on any other StopTech kit or Brembo kit.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I shipped out the last of my red 4-wheel big brake kits for the E39 and have one black kit remaining. It's available for same day shipping. (Free UPS Ground)

I'm placing another stocking order for E39 kits as well as several of the E46 M3 kits and expect to have them here in about two weeks. The sale price and free shipping also applies to drop-ship orders directly from StopTech, but there's usually a one week delay while the kit is being made to order. That's why I'm stocking up on these.

Most of my E39 customers seem to prefer red calipers, but historically my E46 customers have gone with black. I'm trying to figure out the best combination of colors to order so I can meet demand, but it's hard to predict. If anyone is thinking of getting a 4-wheel brake kit but hasn't contacted me yet, I would appreciate your input on color. Especially if you're a California customer, you save if I have the right kits in stock because drop-ships from StopTech (Torrance, CA) to you require California sales tax to be collected. But if I ship from New Jersey, I don't have to collect it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi folks,

New to this site, seems like a good place to get some advice. My car is a 2000 M5 with Dinan S2 mods. I like everything about the car except the stock brakes. Compared to my box stock '89 Porche turbo, the M5 brakes feel mushy and it is more difficult to modulate braking, they don't have the same immediate bite and linear pressure vs braking feel as the Porsche. So this has me wondering about aftermarket. I see Dinan now has a brake package, but $6k seems very steep (I bought the S2 from someone else and paid only a fraction of the upgrade cost). Anyone have some advice on either Stoptech, or Brembo or anything else? I'm nearly due for rotor/pad replacement on the front which for stock is pretty expensive, so would be a decent time to upgrade if that makes sense. I don't track the car though, so no need for dramatic performance upgrade, would just like to improve the braking feel.
Thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
927 Posts
LBPDNNM5 said:
Hi folks,

New to this site, seems like a good place to get some advice. My car is a 2000 M5 with Dinan S2 mods. I like everything about the car except the stock brakes. Compared to my box stock '89 Porche turbo, the M5 brakes feel mushy and it is more difficult to modulate braking, they don't have the same immediate bite and linear pressure vs braking feel as the Porsche. So this has me wondering about aftermarket. I see Dinan now has a brake package, but $6k seems very steep (I bought the S2 from someone else and paid only a fraction of the upgrade cost). Anyone have some advice on either Stoptech, or Brembo or anything else? I'm nearly due for rotor/pad replacement on the front which for stock is pretty expensive, so would be a decent time to upgrade if that makes sense. I don't track the car though, so no need for dramatic performance upgrade, would just like to improve the braking feel.
If you've got aftermarket wheels that will clear the rear Stoptech brakes,
this is a no-brainer. Just check with David if your wheels will clear.

·
Registered
12,777 Posts
LBPDNNM5 said:
I don't track the car though, so no need for dramatic performance upgrade, would just like to improve the braking feel.
If you don't track your car, I am not sure it is worth the money to do a 4 wheel kit, a 2 wheel might be close depending on the cost. Check some threads were Rick (Lscman) talks about using good stock brakes and fresh fluid, opened front brake ducts and Axxis Ultimate pads. Talk to Dave Z., he can sell you anything, but will sell you what you need only. He is a great guy to deal with. cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a couple weeks left on the sale for the M3 and M5 big brake kits. Remember, any order placed before December 25 is eligible for the $1,000 discount plus free shipping within the 48 states, even if the order ships AFTER December 25.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have two M5 kits left in inventory which I would like to move before December 31, in order to minimize my tax liability. One is red and one is black. Both have slotted rotors. If anyone wants either kit, they are available to ship today and there will be a slight additional discount which we can discuss on the phone or via email. [email protected]

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
927 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
I have two M5 kits left in inventory which I would like to move before December 31, in order to minimize my tax liability. One is red and one is black. Both have slotted rotors. If anyone wants either kit, they are available to ship today and there will be a slight additional discount which we can discuss on the phone or via email. [email protected]

Happy Holidays!
Dave-

What is the weight savings when going from stock to Stoptech?

Thanks,

Najeeb

P.S. Thanks for your email

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
01M5 said:
What is the weight savings when going from stock to Stoptech?
I'm doing this from memory, so I might be off a tiny bit:

StopTech ST40 calipers weigh 8 pounds each. Add two pounds per caliper for pads. So a loaded StopTech 4-piston caliper is about 10 pounds.

The stock M5 caliper weighs 16 pounds with pads. So the weight savings is 6 pounds per caliper.

The StopTech front rotors weigh 18 pounds each. The M5 factory rotors weigh 26.5 pounds each. So the reduction in rotating mass is 8.5 pounds per front wheel.

Total weight savings in front is about 29 pounds.

I'm guessing there is no weight savings in back because the stock rear calipers and rotors are smaller than the front ones.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1badm5 said:

Thanks Dave!
Robert
Robert,

This may be too late for you, but I was told yesterday that I could offer 1/2 the sale price ($500) on the front-only kits too. Bob Lee at StopTech told me any order I placed over the weekend would get the special price. So that means a front-only kit is $2095 if you order it from me today or tomorrow. (Yes, I'll be checking my emails on Sunday!) Technically, the sale ended on Christmas, but I managed to squeeze a few more days out of them.

Shipping will also be free, so your total cost is just $2095. Color choices are red, black, or silver calipers. Slotted rotors are standard, drilled rotors are a $100 upcharge.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts