BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a spec lightened dual mass with stage 2 clutch. Car had slight vibration at idel i thought it was maybe clutch brove for 20 miles rev car to about 4000rpm slower vibration got bad, ses light came on car in limp mode.
We took car to bmw they said it was the flywheel. I pulled flywheel had it balanced out 20 grams i also sent old dual mass up was 1.3 grams out(minor)
This i can understand every company has its mistakes but the way David at spec handles the sale was terrible 4 voice mails, 3 e mails. No reply until i send fax stating order will be cancelled then a phone call saying he is working on problem. I said just fix the problem he said he would have replacement here in 2 to 3 days, well 10 days later i get flywheel but not after i have to call 3 more times asking to fill UPS paper work out right so i would not have to pay taxes and duty again well he got the taxes part right but never did duty warranty part so i had to pay $140 cdn to ups for warranty flywheel, and double bill on flywheel install. When i had a problem with UUC flywheel 2 yaers ago the were great full refund and a credit for labour...I own a business and the way you find out what a company really has for customer service is when you have a problem. Well i wish i would have just bought the uuc unit. I am posting this not in hope of getting money from spec i do not want to talk to them, but just that anyone on the fence about a flywheel upgrade does not have to deal with this annoying way of business. PS i told david i had to go pick up flywheel from bmw and drive to balance shop 40 min each way and pay to have balanced
i faxed him balance sheet for both flywheel, he did not care at all about my time and money i wasted..Well enough of my bad grammer hope this helps someone

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Slow-

Sorry to hear yet another vendor has screwed up a deal. Sounds like they dropped a few balls. In a case where an item is grossly out of spec/defective, they really need to step up and pay labor.

I guess no company is immune to issues like this....

If you've paid with a credit card, you can always try a chargeback for at least the customs/shipping/duty charges- I'd also go for the cost to balance a new product that is supposed to be balanced.

Better luck-

A

PS: Spec 1, 2 or 3.... if it is unbalanced it is wrong! Maybe slowcar is building a track car...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
e39m5rider said:
When will people learn that only stage 1 is recommended for the M5....stage 2

and 3 are meant for track use only....
What does that mean spec recomended stage 2 plus 2.David said it would feel just like factory, which it does. The clutch works great the problem is the unbalanced flywheel...

·
Registered
28 Posts
The kevlar and ceramic materials on stage 2 and 3 are garanteed to give you

vibration on shifting gears (shatter).....no street car merits this unless you track

your car....stage 1 organic is the best way to go....look at all the factory sports

cars....why don't they also release other materials?...ask Rob his opinion on this.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
e39m5rider said:
The kevlar and ceramic materials on stage 2 and 3 are garanteed to give you

vibration on shifting gears (shatter).....no street car merits this unless you track

your car....stage 1 organic is the best way to go....look at all the factory sports

cars....why don't they also release other materials?...ask Rob his opinion on this.
I GOT MY CAR BACK LAST NIGHT NO CHATTER NO VIBRATION ON SHIFTING
STAGE 2 PLUS 2 SPEC AND THE NEW LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL WORKS GREAT
REVS NICE, IDLES GREAT SO I GUESS THAT GUARANTEE IS NOT TRUE.
OTHER THAN THE FIRST CUSTOMER SERVICE NIGHTMARE THIS IS THE BEST CLUTCH I HAVE HAD (5TH ONE)

I DO TRACK AND DRAG A LOT....AND MY WIFE HAS A 1981 PORSCHE 930
WITH KEVLAR 3.4 L 12.6 118MPH ON STREET TIRES ON THE G TECH
THERES ANOTHER GUARANTEE GONE BAD..I DONT WANT TO SOUND MAD
BUT SOMETIMES I JUST GET MAD A LITTLE, EVERYONE KNOWS UNTIL IT TIME TO PAY.. I HAVE HAD A JB RACING FLYWHEEL, UUC 2 FACTORY AND NOW SPEC.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
slowcar said:
I GOT MY CAR BACK LAST NIGHT NO CHATTER NO VIBRATION ON SHIFTING
STAGE 2 PLUS 2 SPEC AND THE NEW LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL WORKS GREAT
REVS NICE, IDLES GREAT SO I GUESS THAT GUARANTEE IS NOT TRUE.
OTHER THAN THE FIRST CUSTOMER SERVICE NIGHTMARE THIS IS THE BEST CLUTCH I HAVE HAD (5TH ONE)

I DO TRACK AND DRAG A LOT....AND MY WIFE HAS A 1981 PORSCHE 930
WITH KEVLAR 3.4 L 12.6 118MPH ON STREET TIRES ON THE G TECH
THERES ANOTHER GUARANTEE GONE BAD..I DONT WANT TO SOUND MAD
BUT SOMETIMES I JUST GET MAD A LITTLE, EVERYONE KNOWS UNTIL IT TIME TO PAY.. I HAVE HAD A JB RACING FLYWHEEL, UUC 2 FACTORY AND NOW SPEC.
Glad it is working out. To be clear, you are using stock size 9 5/8 inch clutch setup, correct? You have added a lightened and balanced flywheel to the Spec stage 2 disk? No rollover noise, and pedal feel similar to stock?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gsfent said:
Glad it is working out. To be clear, you are using stock size 9 5/8 inch clutch setup, correct? You have added a lightened and balanced flywheel to the Spec stage 2 disk? No rollover noise, and pedal feel similar to stock?
Regards,
Jerry
NO ROLLOVER AT ALL. IT IS GREAT NO CHATTER, STAGE 2 PLUS 2 IS WHAT I BOUGHT OFF DAVID AT SPEC. PEDAL FEEL IS SAME AMOUNT OF PRESSURE A LITTLE LOWER BUT I HAVE TALKED TO A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT SAY AFTER ABOUT 100-200 MILES PEDAL WOULD COME UP TO NORMAL POINT.
WHEN YOU REV IT UP JUST SITTING IT REVS FASTAND COMES DOWN FAST.
I LOVE IT
I DID THE ROGUE PULLEYS THE SAME TIME AS THIS SO I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL 400 MILES IS UP AND I GET TO TRY IT OUT.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you buy spec, you are playing russian roulette with your money. After 6 months and getting my money back on at least the parts I am back to stock. THANK F-CKING GOD.

Oh yeah,
People WONT learn to use flywheel XXX with clutch stage YYY if the prescribed "BMW expert" at spec tells you to try XXX/YYY combo one day and AAA/BBB the next! Oh, and if he isnt around and you get Paul or some other yahoo, they will tell you they dont make a XXX stage for YYY flywheel combo. Then 15 minutes later tell you the best combo for your M3 would be....M3???.....Idiots.

Good luck to all...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bugeater said:
If you buy spec, you are playing russian roulette with your money. After 6 months and getting my money back on at least the parts I am back to stock. THANK F-CKING GOD.

Oh yeah,
People WONT learn to use flywheel XXX with clutch stage YYY if the prescribed "BMW expert" at spec tells you to try XXX/YYY combo one day and AAA/BBB the next! Oh, and if he isnt around and you get Paul or some other yahoo, they will tell you they dont make a XXX stage for YYY flywheel combo. Then 15 minutes later tell you the best combo for your M3 would be....M3???.....Idiots.

Good luck to all...
I am starting to believe that. Now my rogue underdrive pulleys came installed
25 miles the tensioner is making noice they are warrantying it, but another week with out the car waiting for car, i think in spring a e55 amg with just pulley will be a change no trans problems

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
slowcar said:
I am starting to believe that. Now my rogue underdrive pulleys came installed
25 miles the tensioner is making noice they are warrantying it, but another week with out the car waiting for car, i think in spring a e55 amg with just pulley will be a change no trans problems
Someone else on the board had trouble with the rogue pullies/tensioner too, the replacement did the same thing.
Mike

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the replacement spec lightend flywheel with stage 2 plus 2 clutch is working great so far. About 300 miles since warranty flywheel has been installed. So another 200 before i can start beating it a little. I talked to spec today it sounds promising about some labour warranty coverage we will see. My rogue tensioner had a problem but Mark at rogue was great, 2 day prepaid freight got installed no problems, and for problem got a little better deal on a shifter with rod that makes a guy feel good to have a business appreciate my business...next step susp, does anyone have kw variant 1 on there car ?????how does it feel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2002 m5 lightend flywhell growling noise.

So i bought a stage to spec clutch and a lightened flywheel (not a duel mass). 10 mins after start the car, or when its not warmed up, you hear a growling noise. If you press in the clutch, the car shuts up. It works great, and the tranny shifts xllent. fluid was replaced, noise still presists. What can it be? I added redline didnt help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts