BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
ive got the sst in my supercharged s85 ,not only adaptions there are a number of resets available mine was clunky and pretty rough adaptions don't do much but relearning the gearbox and clutch bit point made it a dream.i should off gone for the max 1125 .also I'm getting slip in 3rd.solid flywheel you get a vibration in 7th
marc p
How is this done? In ista? Just curious before i buy the spec, i plan on doing this myself. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Seems like the updated specs are a go then. Here’s a question, when installing this kit, would I need the oem alignment tool 212-300 or any other special tools? Thanks
From looking at the SPEC clutch photos, probably not since SPEC clutch packs also include their own flywheel... korrekto?.

Tool 212300 is only useful if you’re mounting to a stock flywheel....

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ordered a super twin clutch for my beast.

So after installing them I suppose I will have to:
1. Get a Euro flash. (Using WinKFP)
2. Gearbox & Clutch adaptations. (Using ISTA)

and it should be good without any issues :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I️ have to disagree here.... I️ have a FBO smg M5 with Spec Carbon Metallic clutch and it HELLLLLL OF A DIFFERENCE than OeM. Oem clutches are just blah, and the life expectancies on them are SHORT LIVE unfortunately. Even with proper maintenance, adaptations etc, they will give out and cost you a arm and a leg.

I️ agree that guide/throw out bearing goes, as I️ had that happen to me on my oem clutch, which fried the stock clutch. Reason why I️ upgraded to SPEC.

I️ personally love my SPEC, and again I’m smg III

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello can you please let us know which model spec you are using ? And can u tell how its performing in traffic or slow normal driving ?

regards

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good point Jim. Maybe they did change something, the clutch certainly grabs great on a go and every shift but haven’t noticed it being an issue from stop honestly.

95k on stock clutch WOW, that’s really great. Would you say you were moderate driving on it or aggressive most of the time? I️ could see it lastly that long if one isn’t constantly beating the crap on it.

Mine lasted 77k before it’s first change. Agree on maintenance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have bought an m6 with smg3 2006 and have 113k km on it , without the clutch being replaced and still driving on harsh or not.
Am planing to open up and change anyway since its due date, thats why am checking a more then oem clutch that wont show a difference when am driving in traffic, but to fix a bit the wobbly feel and make the clutch a bit better since am opening up.
Buying also the spec will save arround 1k $ even if its higher specs, but since its used in many cars they can afford to have it at 1800$ while the stock would be close to 800$ + the 1600 for the flywheel, am against keeping the same flywheel or removing a small layer to make it straight again.

help am so confused :)!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just an FYI to all:

After changing my sparkplugs... my super violent gear shifts (feeling like being rear ended) are now completely gone. Feels like a completely new car now... super smooth shifting. Not a single shift hiccup in the last 200+ miles ive driven.

another person on Facebook mentioned the very same thing which makes me now think its no coincidence.

prob best to perform an smg reset with the paddle shifters after the replacement though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any idea why the plugs would affect shift performance?

Just an FYI to all:

After changing my sparkplugs... my super violent gear shifts (feeling like being rear ended) are now completely gone. Feels like a completely new car now... super smooth shifting. Not a single shift hiccup in the last 200+ miles ive driven.

another person on Facebook mentioned the very same thing which makes me now think its no coincidence.

prob best to perform an smg reset with the paddle shifters after the replacement though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
No idea. Probably something to do with how smg is synchronized to the way the engine runs and the harmonics of it. My sparkplugs were really badly worn too. Oval shaped tips. Definitely will be changing them out every 10k miles. Might be worth swapping the SMG relay if you’re at high mileage too.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts