BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
NR1-DAD & Hasan Shaikh - did either of you go with the SPEC clutch? If so, how was the 'plug and play', post install drive experience, clutch feel and WOT shifting? I'm considering going with the SPEC, but leaning heavily to what others have done - SACHS Clutch\ LUKS flywheel combo, etc.

A little background on why moving forward with a clutch possibly but still to be diagnosed completely after unsuccessful adaptations from Indy shop (which is probably the best in the DFW area for experience with M's) - the transmission is going to be dropped and evaluated thoroughly internally in the next day or so.

Below details was prior to driving home after initial reset of adaptations but have to say in gear the car felt ok, stop and go was scary to say the least and had me thinking a tow was needed, but Thankfully made it home after a 2hr drive.

After a successful Dyno (for the first time on vehicle - can't share numbers yet), car was extremely jerky and thuds between shifts and stalling after taking the car down - we pulled the codes and found 4F83, 4FA0 and 510D. After resetting the adaptations the car felt better but slight thud during shifts. Prior to all this the car was running smooth like butter and I think the Dyno pulls uncovered an SMG issue, so I've been reading the forums for previous clutch experience and recommendations.

Info on car is 06 SMG, with 54K, muffler delete, drop-in filters, charcoal filter removal, IAT, Alpha-N tune, e85 kit.

Appreciate any feedback! This forum is vital to our love of the E60 M5...

·
Registered
69 Posts
Throw Out Bearings

Believe or not, I guess your thud from time to time is partly due to the worn out throw out bearing making mechanical friction from metal to metal contact with guide bushing. Based on your year of production, the material of throw out bearing was revised to reduce the resistance on the clutch slave cylinder.

Look at the brighter side, Good thing you got the actual code to narrow down the cause.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Believe or not, I guess your thud from time to time is partly due to the worn out throw out bearing making mechanical friction from metal to metal contact with guide bushing. Based on your year of production, the material of throw out bearing was revised to reduce the resistance on the clutch slave cylinder.

Look at the brighter side, Good thing you got the actual code to narrow down the cause.
I should of added the verbage as a klunk\thud however the other folks described it but it was a violent engaging of the clutch and you can really feel the car 'jerking and bucking' between shifts. It even got to a point where it would engage throw you back as it engages, then shifting was another roller coaster of the same feel where the 'Red Cog' for transmission fault popped up. I had to tow my car to the indy shop and it was the same drive experience where just pulling it around to the shop garage the selected gear confirmation in the cluster would flash during intervals and to a point it would just stall and from that point you are unable to get into gear.

But, as of today my mechanic gave me a call and opened the transmission to find 3 rivit bolts broken on the pressure plate where they bounced around in there and hit the speed sensor. I'm waiting on additional information and just trying to get information and suggestions from others on here on which clutch kit to go with. My mechanic used to have an SMG M5 in the past and has went through a few OEM clutches prior and saw the SPEC which he would like us to try but wanted some real-world advice from others who have installed them on their vehicle. The guys in this thread have added curiosity to myself and just wondering if they followed through with a SPEC clutch. Personally, even if perhaps the average 40-60K on a new OEM clutch would be ok with me. The car is not my daily driver and is a Friday Fun and Weekend cruiser though Lambo killer. =P

·
Registered
723 Posts
I should of added the verbage as a klunk\thud however the other folks described it but it was a violent engaging of the clutch and you can really feel the car 'jerking and bucking' between shifts. It even got to a point where it would engage throw you back as it engages, then shifting was another roller coaster of the same feel where the 'Red Cog' for transmission fault popped up. I had to tow my car to the indy shop and it was the same drive experience where just pulling it around to the shop garage the selected gear confirmation in the cluster would flash during intervals and to a point it would just stall and from that point you are unable to get into gear.

But, as of today my mechanic gave me a call and opened the transmission to find 3 rivit bolts broken on the pressure plate where they bounced around in there and hit the speed sensor. I'm waiting on additional information and just trying to get information and suggestions from others on here on which clutch kit to go with. My mechanic used to have an SMG M5 in the past and has went through a few OEM clutches prior and saw the SPEC which he would like us to try but wanted some real-world advice from others who have installed them on their vehicle. The guys in this thread have added curiosity to myself and just wondering if they followed through with a SPEC clutch. Personally, even if perhaps the average 40-60K on a new OEM clutch would be ok with me. The car is not my daily driver and is a Friday Fun and Weekend cruiser though Lambo killer. =P

Hey bud! Sooooo so much to say BUT I’m keep it brief. I had similar issues as many on this forum. If your car was banging into gears “feeling like you got rear ended” either your clutch is no good, your PLCD is bad (happened to me before where I changed clutch before and tried to use same PLCD) NO DICE. Always change PLCD when changing clutch cause it never seems to adapt right otherwise. OR your install of the flywheel is on incorrectly and not lined up with the proper dial.

In my case I bought the SPEC stage 3 (carbon ceramic) top of line clutch! And I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! S%# shifts faster, more precise, and it gets in gear with NO LAG AT ALL! I even did my Euro smg update to it.

ONLY THING WITH IT. First gear is suppper sensitive. I’ve had clutch on for about 2 months and (haven’t driven much) due to weather here but it’s definitely something I have to learn as it’s a touch and feel type situation. 1gear if not pressing on gas precisely will jerk like crazy and almost fear like your DRAGGING clutch out as if you were driving a true stick.

Other than that I recently just ran a FBO FAM tune E60 and he has Stage 1 or 2 clutch and my car literally not only beat his but my shifts were sharp and pulled really hard.

Hope it was helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's a local shop in Plano and don't want to post details as I've seen others on here with harsh opinions at times not for this specific shop but would rather you PM me for details or when you do google for shops it will come up with a good amount of positive reviews.

FYI - this is NOT a performance shop but the owner has worked at both the local BMW dealerships (for years prior) and decided to move on away from corporate side to his own business and 2 shops at that. Very respected BMW master technician as well to say the least. He knows his stuff and has been around to know our M's.

·
Registered
69 Posts

why does it look not 1600 or 1800 dollar taggies for me, almost two and half price expensive than the one from sachs?
no offense at all if my wording alluded by any chance, but does it look like a product with the greater investment and engineering behind? I know I am not in any stance to evaluate good or wrong.
but since I have seen clutch kit from sachs, I remember it looks very engineered

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've now tried to add replies but it's not being posted in the forums - ???.

In short, I emailed SPEC directly and got a response that may be helpful to all of us on here about their clutches.

The only issue we have ever had with the SB60 SMG units was in the beginning..we made them a bit strong and some cars were not able to be programmed or had the relearn process executed without trouble. But a couple years ago we completely redesigned the units and now they program just like stock and are even smoother than most of the stock units we have driven on. We sell about 50 a month worldwide, so there are a ton of the good ones in the marketplace. It is by far the most advanced SMG unit in the marketplace.

The new units are larger in diameter and have a diaphragm spring that mimics the feedback of a stocker, despite placing almost twice the load on the friction discs. So the OE pump ‘sees’ an OE unit. Another amazing attribute is once the car is reset with the factory relearn, you do not have to have the car put through that process again down the road when it is time to replace it. The finger height remains the same throughout its life, so the car does not require the adaptation process again.

So, factory drivability, up to 75% more wear life and enough capacity in most cases for forced induction, just off the first trim level. We have several in the 1200 ft lb range (built engines and turbocharged) using the next trim level.
We install them, here, too, if for some reason you live closer then Cali !

SPECTech

The ever so popular Jim had concerns and curious on his thoughts about the response as he is a reseller for SPEC.

There is not one single running example anywhere of a SPEC SMG clutch working properly in an SMG3. There are lots of theories, ideas, and supposition, yet not a single running example.

There are parameters in the DME for moment of inertia on each gear of the SMG. Altering the mass of the flywheel and clutch change moment of inertia. Until someone figures out those parameters and tests them for the SPEC setup, I doubt its going to improve. Don't get me wrong, I'm an authorized reseller for SPEC, their 6MT clutch is great.

If the stock clutch on your car gave out, it could have been due to poor adaptations, galled guide bushing/throwout bearing, or a lot of other stuff. There are cars here with almost 800HP at the wheel on the stock clutch.

·
Registered
723 Posts
why does it look not 1600 or 1800 dollar taggies for me, almost two and half price expensive than the one from sachs?
no offense at all if my wording alluded by any chance, but does it look like a product with the greater investment and engineering behind? I know I am not in any stance to evaluate good or wrong.
but since I have seen clutch kit from sachs, I remember it looks very engineered

Cause this is for a manual. Smg clutch looks exactly what you sent in picture.

Open the inside of it and you will how well it’s engineered

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've now tried to add replies but it's not being posted in the forums - ???.

In short, I emailed SPEC directly and got a response that may be helpful to all of us on here about their clutches.

The only issue we have ever had with the SB60 SMG units was in the beginning..we made them a bit strong and some cars were not able to be programmed or had the relearn process executed without trouble. But a couple years ago we completely redesigned the units and now they program just like stock and are even smoother than most of the stock units we have driven on. We sell about 50 a month worldwide, so there are a ton of the good ones in the marketplace. It is by far the most advanced SMG unit in the marketplace.

The new units are larger in diameter and have a diaphragm spring that mimics the feedback of a stocker, despite placing almost twice the load on the friction discs. So the OE pump ‘sees’ an OE unit. Another amazing attribute is once the car is reset with the factory relearn, you do not have to have the car put through that process again down the road when it is time to replace it. The finger height remains the same throughout its life, so the car does not require the adaptation process again.

So, factory drivability, up to 75% more wear life and enough capacity in most cases for forced induction, just off the first trim level. We have several in the 1200 ft lb range (built engines and turbocharged) using the next trim level.
We install them, here, too, if for some reason you live closer then Cali !

SPECTech

The ever so popular Jim had concerns and curious on his thoughts about the response as he is a reseller for SPEC.

That is absolutely true statement from SPEC. They made them hella better than before. I live by it and like it

·
Registered
181 Posts
Seems like the updated specs are a go then. Here’s a question, when installing this kit, would I need the oem alignment tool 212-300 or any other special tools? Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been running and betting on my Spec SuperTwin clutch kit since I finished the break in on it in August 2015 with no issues the only down side is it needed a software update to take the adaptions to adjust to the clutch. Also the car doesn't like the European launch control with the spec clutch. The dme reads over pressure or something like that and drops it back to neutral it will only launch 1 or 2 times. But it will take a European Smg flash and rev matches wonderful. It does shift a lot harder than OEM that's for sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
smg addaptions

ive got the sst in my supercharged s85 ,not only adaptions there are a number of resets available mine was clunky and pretty rough adaptions don't do much but relearning the gearbox and clutch bit point made it a dream.i should off gone for the max 1125 .also I'm getting slip in 3rd.solid flywheel you get a vibration in 7th
marc p

21 - 37 of 49 Posts