BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just in a grouchy mood, but after lookng at the picture of the plenum cover on the E60 M5 engine pictured on page 40 of October's Roundel, I just about choked. I thought the plenum cover on our poor E39 M5's was bad enough--it hides all the tastey engine bits, I think, but the E60 one seems even worse.

What do you all think? I know this is such a major design issue and all, but still :haha2:

Anita

·
10,445 Posts
i agree with you, the e60's engine is a bit disappointing, from a looks standpoint (other than those headers). Plain stamped cam covers, at least ours have that crinkle finish paint, and the ribs.
Mike

·
Registered
35 Posts
This goes to the discussion on another thread ("no LEDs") about hitting a price point. Pretty cam covers, etc. cost money. Plain ones do the same job and cost less. If you're going to cover most of the engine with a chunk of plastic anyway, why spend money where it won't be seen? :noSMG:

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
This is terrible. I will be awfully embarrassed when I pull up my hood between the Camarro and the Supra in the strip parking lot on a Friday night. BMW M needs to address this right away!

Tom

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
i too agree that the coverings on the S65 are pretty ugly. What bothers me even more is the v10 badge on the cover. It looks as if it was a part that BMW had made by honda, like a vtec badge of some sort.

The S62 and the E39 are just flat out classics that BMW should have taken alot more cues from in their current...bring BMW to the masses phase (but then again, the masses wouldnt appreciate a CF BMW Mpower insert in the top of the plenum.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moongate said:
This goes to the discussion on another thread ("no LEDs") about hitting a price point. Pretty cam covers, etc. cost money. Plain ones do the same job and cost less. If you're going to cover most of the engine with a chunk of plastic anyway, why spend money where it won't be seen? :noSMG:
Gosh, I don't know you're looking at when you first check out a car, but for me peeking under the hood ranks right up there. :biggrin:

Not to be too sassy this morning, but you can't tell me it would cost big bucks just to pretty up that plenum cover a bit--I've seen designs for shampoo bottles that look more artistic--I know, I know--we're talking volume for all that shampoo being sold and all, but still.

Anita

·
Registered
213 Posts
Sorry to say this, but it's a german car, so it's a machine and built to a purpose. If you want car jewlery (spelling?) you've got to shop italian. Just look under the hood of an Alfa Romeo GTA, not to mention other extremelly more expensive propositions (can you say, prancing horse...).

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Tom,
LOL. I agree- this is a bit silly. Yes, the new M5 engine is not that exciting looking from the outside- but most of us here have seen the pictures of the headers and exhaust and other angles of the engine, and from that view its very exciting. Besides, once youre in the drivers seat- who cares? The new Ferraris are not that much better in this regard- and the same applies- once you're underway, who cares?

·
Registered
124 Posts
All new cars have poor engine character, too much plastic used......it is what it is.....aftermarket is making a killing......... manufacturers are sleeping, even Porsche who tried with the 997, but failed again......zzzzz

·
Registered
246 Posts
bernhtp said:
This is terrible. I will be awfully embarrassed when I pull up my hood between the Camarro and the Supra in the strip parking lot on a Friday night. BMW M needs to address this right away!

Tom
hihahihaLions and Tigers and Bears Oh My!!!

simmikie

·
10,445 Posts
António Duarte said:
Sorry to say this, but it's a german car, so it's a machine and built to a purpose. If you want car jewlery (spelling?) you've got to shop italian. Just look under the hood of an Alfa Romeo GTA, not to mention other extremelly more expensive propositions (can you say, prancing horse...).
I think most previous M engines were pretty attractive, from the e28 M5 thru the e39, euro spec M3 engines too. Nice looking cam covers, M POWER on the i-6's, pretty sharp, imo. I just don't buy the need to cut cost on a $90kUS car, how much more could it be!?
Mike

·
Registered
213 Posts
mottati said:
I think most previous M engines were pretty attractive, from the e28 M5 thru the e39, euro spec M3 engines too. Nice looking cam covers, M POWER on the i-6's, pretty sharp, imo. I just don't buy the need to cut cost on a $90kUS car, how much more could it be!?
Mike
I never said it was price related, it's just the german way vs the italian way. In the german way it has to get the job done (among other things), in the italian way it must look good, really good (and if this afects some other stuff so be it).

B

·
0 Posts
We like to see them skimp on these things, as it leaves more room for the aftermarket to step-in and provide something cool. I am sure that a carbon fiber one will be available shortly after the M5 (e60) is released in Europe.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
BeastPower said:
We like to see them skimp on these things, as it leaves more room for the aftermarket to step-in and provide something cool. I am sure that a carbon fiber one will be available shortly after the M5 (e60) is released in Europe.

Cheers, Daniel.

Daniel,

Good to know there's hope!!! Looking forward to see what aftermarket comes out with! Pics when you see some ??

Yeah at least our E39 covers have a nice shape, I just hate that it blocks everything underneath, the E60 just has an unattractive shape--SORRY SORRY I promise to stop looking at the picture and shut up about this.

Anita :blabla:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I agree the the E39 is sharper looking under the hood than the E60, but at least it's not a stupid plastic cover like so many cars today. The worst are those with fake molded areas for intake runners, etc.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts