BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I am not sure that is really going to make a measureable difference on a 4000lb car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
40 lbs ~= 4 hp. But, also 4hp of worse braking and worse turning :rolleyes

I've repeatedly spent thousands of dollars to take increments of 40 lbs out of my M3. Nothing is a greater determinate of how well a car drives than weight. And 40 lbs is a LOT.

·
Registered
34 Posts
40 lbs ~= 4 hp. But, also 4hp of worse braking and worse turning :rolleyes

I've repeatedly spent thousands of dollars to take increments of 40 lbs out of my M3. Nothing is a greater determinate of how well a car drives than weight. And 40 lbs is a LOT.
Maybe on an M3.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Maybe on an M3.

I have a friend with a 3600 lb e39 M5. It drives heads and shoulders better than my stockish car.

I've also driven F10 M5s. They drive like luxobarge **** (largely due to weight).

Or, lets look at it from another perspective: can you feel the M5 being worse when you have a passenger in it? I know I can-- it's not subtle. 3 modes like this and you effectively have a permanent passenger in the car. Or, pair it with some heavy 19s and you're probably there :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
Why would you want to substitute in a metal/aluminum undertray?

I think the factory plastic is extremely durable and lightweight. It is unseen under the car, so I don't even see a "bling" advantage. And of course it is already lightweight and has a cutout for reaching the oil filter, which if lost, (ask me how i know!) is easily replaceable.

So what did I miss?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Why would you want to substitute in a metal/aluminum undertray?

I think the factory plastic is extremely durable and lightweight. It is unseen under the car, so I don't even see a "bling" advantage. And of course it is already lightweight and has a cutout for reaching the oil filter, which if lost, (ask me how i know!) is easily replaceable.

So what did I miss?

Regards,
Jerry
I people's problem is that the underbody plastics have gotten more expensive.

Functionally, this seems only significantly worse to me-- and has the potential to really screw up your car if you hit something that snags it. .

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I people's problem is that the underbody plastics have gotten more expensive.

Functionally, this seems only significantly worse to me-- and has the potential to really screw up your car if you hit something that snags it. .
I can't see replacing the underbody tray more than once in the lifetime of ownership. I have my car for over 14 years and I am still on the original.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have the race skids on my car at the moment. I believe they do protect better and for someone with a stock-ish height car, they could benefit from it if they are concerned about protecting their bottoms. But it is significantly heavy and if you end up making contact with asphalt it is loud and painful to your ears.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the race skids on my car at the moment. I believe they do protect better and for someone with a stock-ish height car, they could benefit from it if they are concerned about protecting their bottoms. But it is significantly heavy and if you end up making contact with asphalt it is loud and painful to your ears.
ok good to know.Mine is stock height and I don’t plan to lower it. Is the weight difference noticeable? I will be doing a little city driving so think the extra protection could be good.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Its hard to say if the added weight is noticeable. My initial drive I could swear turn in felt different, but that went away after the first few drives. While you are adding weight, its at the bottom most part of the car so at least its being added in the right spot.

My reason for getting it was for protection and I was tired of tearing apart the plastic under panels. My car is fairly low and on every speedbump and steep entry point, my plastics would scrape and eventually tear off, and with the rising prices of replacements, I figured this one time purchase could save me money and a lot of headaches. Since installing it, I havent had to replace anything down there due to scrapes, and while the sound is horrific when it does scrape, it does its job well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Its hard to say if the added weight is noticeable. My initial drive I could swear turn in felt different, but that went away after the first few drives. While you are adding weight, its at the bottom most part of the car so at least its being added in the right spot.

My reason for getting it was for protection and I was tired of tearing apart the plastic under panels. My car is fairly low and on every speedbump and steep entry point, my plastics would scrape and eventually tear off, and with the rising prices of replacements, I figured this one time purchase could save me money and a lot of headaches. Since installing it, I havent had to replace anything down there due to scrapes, and while the sound is horrific when it does scrape, it does its job well.
Thanks, appreciate the color here. I’ve ordered them and agree they should do a better job of protecting than the plastic ones. The ~$400 in savings is great too.

40lbs is much lighter than the average passenger so can’t imagine it will be too noticeable as I’m not doing any track driving.

·
Registered
914 Posts
After reading through the noted thread, it appears they were made out of 14 gauge steel to keep costs down, and have the skid plate be stronger at that thickness than aluminum.

But man, one of you has a damned good point, I can think of 2 points actually that make this a very bad idea:
1) If you snag something, which can happen in the dark you don't even know you drove over it, and it hits the underbelly and potentially yanks it off, I don't even want to think what would happen if the front part fell down to the ground first and then got all bent up and wrangled under your car, it would be catastrophic!

2) The plastic belly pan has recesses to collect crap that's dripping from your engine bay, and it holds a LOT. This metal one is just a flat sheet, so wouldn't fluids just roll right off and land on your driveway or all over the road, even if you had a weeping valve cover gasket leak?

Damn you BMW for making the ****ty failure-prone plastic parts on our cars so damned expensive.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have this steel belly pan on my car, and have had for I think ~2 years or so. I don't notice the weight, perhaps I am just not that good of a driver, so that's just me. I did hit a raccoon about a year ago, doing probably ~35-40mph. I don't know the exact speed since I was driving around 50-55mph on a two way road, and then saw a racoon walk out in front of me so I pushed the brakes hard. I obviously wan't looking at the speedometer during the impact, so 35-40mph is just my guess at the impact speed. The impact sounded very loud and I thought that I likely did some serious damage. I pulled over as soon as I could and besides some damage to the bottom part of my front bumper, the front belly pan took most of the impact based on the racoon hair/tissue on it. It was clear that the raccoon passed right down the middle of the car, so didn't touch the front suspension on either side. However, the belly pan was perfectly intact, didn't even bend or scratch its paint. I obviously don't have a side by side comparison of how the original plastic cover or an aluminum cover would have held up, but I was happy how the steel belly pan held up.

The one thing I don't like about it is that the hardware with it is SAE and not metric (and I don't have that many SAE tools in general), but also the bolts are mild steel and rust very easily and I think that if you leave it on for a few years, would be hard to get off. As such, I bought stainless bolts of the same size. I don't think this is a big deal, but just an FYI for anyone in the northeast that may be thinking about this.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts