BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey just a reminder for the forum and an FYI for new folks like me... Eric over at raceskids still makes the metal underbelly protection covers for our cars. I found a thread from 2010 where the request to make them started...

For more information refer to: Race Skids - 1997, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02 and 2003 BMW E39 540i and M5 Front Plate

And http://www.raceskids.com/images/instructions/E39-8FR.pdf

I ordered them today and looking forward to replacing my broken plastic ones.

Also he might make the sides underneath as well.

We need 10 people interested and then he will make them! Refer to part numbers 51718158060 and 51718176757.

I ordered and sent him both parts so he can make us custom metal left and right underside covers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I just replaced the cover on the drivers side. My car didn't have the engine/trans covers and with all the broken ones I've seen, buying OEM doesn't make sense. I had planned on these race skids after some pics I'd seen.

Please post up some pics when you get them on and your overall impressions.

Maybe since you just ordered them and are working on the side ones, he would do some type of group but on the engine/trans?

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
I've had these for several years, they're great. The only downside is they're way more difficult to take off / put back on due to their weight... I think it's ~35-40 pounds between the two, 14 gauge steel isn't lightweight...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Oh really, I would have assumed an aluminum option to save weight.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And if you read it make sure to scroll to the top of that page. It seems to start off in the middle when you click on it.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Weird, link worked through Tapatalk for me, although not great. Interesting on why it isn’t aluminum.

I would definitely consider especially if Eric is up for a group buy.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks! I was just logging in via the web to fix the link. Yes I use Tapatalk! :)
No problem, I'm just surprised you were able to PM me back! The threshold has been 45 posts, and you had 39 or 40. People have been complaining about that for a long time. They must have finally lowered it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Depending on cost I’d be interested. I’ve been contemplating paneling the entire underside of my car with aluminum because I didn’t see race skids having them available. What would the cost be for the front, center, and sides shipped in the conus?

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Don’t think this is a good idea as far as heat, but M5 owners are all about the savings.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I've had these for several years, they're great. The only downside is they're way more difficult to take off / put back on due to their weight... I think it's ~35-40 pounds between the two, 14 gauge steel isn't lightweight...
35-40 lbs!?!?!?!?

No ******* way that's going on my car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts