BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys.

What is the maximum speaker mounting depth i can go to in the front doors without resorting to baffles or spacers?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't think I have my old speakers lying around, but it is not much space. I used the baffles and still couldn't get a good sized speaker in there. I had to get custom made baffles to make more space and use professional slim speakers.

Hopefully someone has a more exact measurement.

Reactions: jamiepeers

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Roughly 55mm max depth if you have the M audio enclosures.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Timmay.

Any idea on where you got the baffles or at least templates for them (i could easily make them myself if i had one)

As a last question, i see with your baffles you have upgraded to a 6.5" driver.

What depth are you now limited to, and is the baffle any good, as obviously its not an enclosure as such, but an infinite baffle?

Cheers

Jamie

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Thanks Timmay.

Any idea on where you got the baffles or at least templates for them (i could easily make them myself if i had one)

As a last question, i see with your baffles you have upgraded to a 6.5" driver.

What depth are you now limited to, and is the baffle any good, as obviously its not an enclosure as such, but an infinite baffle?

Cheers

Jamie
Without an enclosure, you will lack midbass, something I can't live without. You can "create" an enclosure using these baffles as a base and lots of dynomat, or custom fabricating your own enclosure. I bought those baffles from a guy on another forum amd sent the template off to another member here. Once I pull them out of the car, (I am replacing my 6.5" for 8" woofers) I will trace them again and send the template out to anyone who wants them. You are the 3rd person this week who has asked about them......

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Timmay.

By "creating" an enclosure, i take it you mean once the MDF baffle is mounted, you effectively fill/bridge any gaps between the MDF baffle and steel door, where there will be "air gaps"????

I want midbass upfront which means that the larger driver is great, but if i lose all that work through losing an enclosure, then its not for me either to simply leave the baffle as is

I would really appreciate a traced baffle dude. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Thanks. Any ideas if the available depth differs if i have the standard nav/stereo in the car?
I replaced the front 5.25's in my 98 540, and it used the same plastic enclosure that the M audio does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts