BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Think I'm right in saying my car has 6 speakers as standard.

Well, I'm replacing the head unit and my question is this:

Will I be able to connect all 6 speakers to my new unit which only has 4 outputs?

Is there a crossover unit or something similar?

Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
121 Posts
Have you done the research and fully prepared for what you are getting into? It seems like the way BMW has wired everything together means if you want to use your new headunit for power you will have to rewire your car speaker by speaker. You can replace just the speakers themselves and not have to worry about anything. You can replace the head unit, with out too much hassle, assuming you are OK with factory power. Let me see if I can find you a link.

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your input.

However, I'm confused!!

The step by step guide seems pretty straight forward.

What do you mean about.......if I want to use the head unit for power, I'll need to rewire all the speakers?

Am I missing something!!??

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
121 Posts
It has been some time since I considered changing anything with the stereo in the 530, about 3 years. At the time I was under the impression that if you want to simply change the head unit, and use it almost as a preamp, also preserving the factory amp, then the change is pretty straight forward. When you consider replacing the amp, I believe it begins to get more complicated because of the manner in which the factory wired the speakers, amp and head unit. I will look for another link that details this further.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Actually, maybe it is not as bad as I thought, according to the reading I did this morning. Here is a great iformative link by someone in the know. I guess the key is just understanding the logic used by BMW as opposed to how ppl usually approach car audio.

Good luck and let us know how it looks and sounds.cherrsagai
http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e34/stereo/e34_ads_stereo_upgrade.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts