BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
evening all, as new owners of our first M5 we are gradually getting to know the car but are still trying to find the best advice possible !! so where better place to come ! we are going to change the spark plugs, we were looking at the ngk ones but wondered if there was a better or more suitable one on the market at the moment, engine is standard apart from k&n elements, any advice is greatly appreciated, many thanks lisa

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Reactions: honeyM5

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
This is a question I was sort of on the verge of asking, you'll have to forgive us ex-turbo modifiers, plugs can be an important part of turbo tuning.

From the comments on here and the old thread refrred to above, I'm guessing stick with original. All good :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
This is a question I was sort of on the verge of asking, you'll have to forgive us ex-turbo modifiers, plugs can be an important part of turbo tuning.

From the comments on here and the old thread refrred to above, I'm guessing stick with original. All good :)
Sometimes, original is best. This is one of them :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for your warm welcome and advice given, 8 NGK's have been purchased today !! loving the board and slowly finding my way round it, but your time is much appreciated thanks again lisa.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Going to install Denso IK20 Irdium Plugs this weekend. My preferred choice of plug since my E36 2.8L days.

Huh. Report back. Back in the day I ran copper. But that isn't suitable for the S62, given how I use it.

There is usually nothing at all to be gained with plugs, and more to be lost if they ever break. I seem to recall more than a few posts on driveability issues with some non-standard plug choices....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...35970-performance-spark-plugs.html#post355650

To the OP: Get rid of the K&N crap, use stock filters and replace every other oil change (every 15k miles)

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
i run the ngk iridiums bkr6eix. there is a difference compared to the stock plugs. hard to explain, its like the engine revs cleaner and even sounds different. i've noticed this on my last m5 as well after i installed them. the engine just seems to like them better.

Cal, if you're going to install these take the extra time and index them. if you're not familiar, google "indexing spark plugs".

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
i run the ngk iridiums bkr6eix. there is a difference compared to the stock plugs. hard to explain, its like the engine revs cleaner and even sounds different. i've noticed this on my last m5 as well after i installed them. the engine just seems to like them better.

Compared to the brand new ngks you replaced?

Or compared to the 50,000 mile old plugs?

"revs cleaner"? I'm going to stop now...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh. Report back. Back in the day I ran copper. But that isn't suitable for the S62, given how I use it.

There is usually nothing at all to be gained with plugs, and more to be lost if they ever break. I seem to recall more than a few posts on driveability issues with some non-standard plug choices....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...35970-performance-spark-plugs.html#post355650

To the OP: Get rid of the K&N crap, use stock filters and replace every other oil change (every 15k miles)
evening, is there a specific reason that you say to get rid of the k&n, is this likely to cause us problem ??? many thanks lisa

·
Registered
301 Posts
evening, is there a specific reason that you say to get rid of the k&n, is this likely to cause us problem ??? many thanks lisa
K&n has an oil in the filter which gunks up your mafs. I myself run k&n and have no problem. I sprayed my mafs with sensor kleen when I installed the filters and did so a few thousand miles later. They've been in there for over a year and a half now and no issues and never needed to clean the mafs again. It's all personal preference though, and as for the plugs mentioned by nightkrawler above, they're the ones to get, many board members use them including myself and have nothing but great things to say about them.

Also realize that Some folks on here tell you to do things without even justifying themselves as to why they stated such, so do take a grain of salt when heeding advice given in such a manner or just do your own research using the search function as majority of the questions new owners ask have already been asked.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
compared to brand new stock ngk plugs. maybe "cleaner" was a poor choice of words, smoother was the word i was looking for. as i said its hard to describe exactly, the engine just sounds different and seems to run smoother/idle better. if you don't like them, don't use them. i personally do and recommend them to anyone who is changing their plugs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
compared to brand new stock ngk plugs. maybe "cleaner" was a poor choice of words, smoother was the word i was looking for. as i said its hard to describe exactly, the engine just sounds different and seems to run smoother/idle better. if you don't like them, don't use them. i personally do and recommend them to anyone who is changing their plugs.
I'm in complete agreement with you on this. The engine just runs so much better with the better NGK plugs.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Turning into an oil thread in here! :byebye:

I run the stock plugs. A good change interval (30-40k imho) will do more for you here then looking for a magic plug.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
im not saying these plugs are making the car faster or adding hp. just runs smoother compared to the 4 electrode ngks. there is only one reason bmw uses the +4 style plugs, same reason they spec 15k oil svc intervals, lifetime coolant, diff, trans fluids etc lower maintence plan costs while the car is under warranty. thats what it comes down to, 4 electrode plugs in theory last 4x a long as a standard plug.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I use the NGK V-Power plugs in my car and they work just fine.I am sure I will be changing them more often,but they seem to like the tune that Mr.X supplied for the car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts