BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, this isn't a DIY but, there is one here: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...41-diy-spark-plugs-requested-pics-inside.html (Thank you much to rdm190!)

I just wanted to post up pics of my old plugs and see if anyone has any insight as to their condition. I reviewed the services done to the car and I guess the plugs were never replaced!? :confused3 Hmm...guess I had good plugs! I just passed 104k and figured it was about time to replace the old plugs and get another DIY under my belt. I did get a misfire code at one point long ago but it never came back up - not sure if that was plug related. Other than that she's been running smooooth :wroom: The last pic is of the new plugs I used: Bosch Platinum +4.

Attachments

·
Registered
750 Posts
Your center terminals are all worn down to the insulator; some below so I'd say this was (over)due. Hopefully the car is running a bit better. The color looks good except 1 or 2 looking slightly blacker but this may be due in part to how old they are. Usually a blue/black or oily plug indicates a too-rich condition. However given the terminals being so worn and the gapping thus too wide, some delayed firing or misfiring may have occurred under some conditions and could have led to some rich occasions from incomplete burning. Personally if the car is running well I'd not worry but it couldn't hurt to recheck in 10-15k miles to see what the new ones look like.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your spark plugs look normal with even wear, I didn't see excessive carbon deposits, no oil stains. The plugs are good for 100K miles so this was a good time to replace them. Let us know how your M5 is running now with the new plugs.

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Those plugs look pretty good...except for the wear. ;) Don't let this set run that long! 30-40k max imho.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
all,

thanks for the replies. yeah, i was glad to not see any kind of oil or grease deposits. however, some of the plugs showed a lot of corrosion on top, maybe due to how long they'd been inside.

Carbon, thanks for the info - i thought also that the gap seemed wide! i guess the one misfire code i got was related to the plugs.

TMCnasty, yeah i plan on changing them at around another 30-40 like you said

bimmersrus, the car runs just the same as before, no real noticeable difference in acceleration or startup like some of the other members report. the engine does sound a little quieter when idle so i guess there is a bit of a difference with the new plugs!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts