BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says.. first time changing spark plugs and it was cake! Mostly thanks to the great diy, and the following comments! Only issue was when it came to torqueing them down, 22 felt like way too much, and didn't feel safe waiting for the wrench to click. So I just hand tightened them...
I am at 70k, and they look like they've never been changed before! No noticeable performance gain though...

And in process discovered a small oil leak (pics). What do you guys think it is, and how do I fix it? Thanks...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hand tightened spark plugs aren't tight enough. They really need to be 22ft/pounds, or, once you reach resistance you turn another 1/4 turn. The plugs are made to compress which creates a proper seal.

You might want to go back and fix that, IMO.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hand tightened spark plugs aren't tight enough. They really need to be 22ft/pounds, or, once you reach resistance you turn another 1/4 turn. The plugs are made to compress which creates a proper seal.

Sorry, English as second language problem. I did wrench them down w a 3/8 inch wrench I believe, until tight! Approximately a quarter turn.

The oil looks like nothing to worry about. Could have just been a little spill over when adding oil.
It's at the last cylinder drivers side, if you look at the hose above, it looks like the culprit! Looked it up and I believe is a oil return hose!?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
577 Posts
In the process of doing my plugs, is a PITA, but I discovered the same oil leak! That same hose has oil on it, located behind the last plug/coil on the drivers side. New something was leaking as the plastic cover over the coils had oil on it when I removed, and the valve cover also has oil on it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the process of doing my plugs, is a PITA, but I discovered the same oil leak! That same hose has oil on it, located behind the last plug/coil on the drivers side. New something was leaking as the plastic cover over the coils had oil on it when I removed, and the valve cover also has oil on it.
I studied the plug replacement DIY for a while since I've never changed plugs before and it ended up being easy! The leak I havent fixed yet, and might not even mess with it. I did look up the part on bmwoem, and it seems to be that the hose is a oil return hose of sorts. Let me know if you end up fixing it!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Definitely looks like oil spilled by previous owner perhaps? Clean it up and see if you still have the leak.

For the plugs you should torque them to spec ASAP.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I never torque spark plugs. But then again, I do this for a living and have a good feeling of how tight things should be. More than likely, I probably over tighten them by a pound or two

T

·
0 Posts
That is a common area for a slight oil leak. Usually we see it on either side. The oil return from the plenum is right there in those two hoses and they are under high pressure. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1408598191.076058.jpg

This is a pic from a member in Georgia that I am helping this week. From 25-miles of driving I think he said. ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1408598290.709890.jpg

The clip broke so we sent him a new hose and I am trying to help him diagnose other issues on his E60

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've seen this in my engine compartment when removing parts. Way minor. If you had a significant leak, you'd definitely know. Looks like overspill.

·
Registered
577 Posts
My leak looks just like those and identical to the OP. Whats usually the cause and how to fix?

That is a common area for a slight oil leak. Usually we see it on either side. The oil return from the plenum is right there in those two hoses and they are under high pressure. View attachment 459729

This is a pic from a member in Georgia that I am helping this week. From 25-miles of driving I think he said. View attachment 459737

The clip broke so we sent him a new hose and I am trying to help him diagnose other issues on his E60

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Attachments

·
Registered
769 Posts
It's the oil return, as Troy said. If the clips are intact and the hoses are free from cracks, just wipe clean and keep an eye on them every time you change oil/do maintenance. The owner before me had one replaced and after about three years there were small leaks again, so it seems to be sort of "standard". They should have designed this with more sturdy clamps.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I thought e proper torque was 17 ft/lb. according with other posts? Is that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts