BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to DIY I2 Labor Day weekend. Can someone please tell me what the proper gap is for the S62? I purchased the 4 prong NGK BKR6EQUPs, out of the box, I am measuring ~ .034 TIA

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
.035 sounds right but they are pre gapped do not adjust type.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great!

I figured the plug would be darn near impossible to regap given the design, but I just wanted to double-check with the gurus here before putting them in.

BTW, can anyone give me any pointers as to how to remove the last plug (closest to the firewall) on the driver's side?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm hoping the vent flex is off.
I used two extensions with a universal in the middle covered lightly with tape.

Tip:
check that there is no dirt/oil at the sparkplugs that can fall in when you pull them out, I blow it out with a air nozzle first.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I just changed my spark plugs with the NGK Iriduim ones last tuesday, after the motor was cooled off it took me about 1.5 hrs and I was taking my time, didnt want to mess anything up or drop any nuts that hold the coils on, I was able to remove all of the plugs with simple hand tools, extensions and swivels with no problems, I would remove the cabin airfilters though for more room to work, Josh

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
So the .035 gap is correct? I'm putting some cheapy pure coppers in to do a hesitation test. need to know the proper gap for these things. They don't come pre-gapped.

I'm typing with dirty hands --as the plugs are out.... need to know!

thanks!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
.035 will do fine for a quick test.
Next time your at the hardware store grab a box of those thin disposable gloves to keep the fingers clean.(look Ma! clean thumbs) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
ok! thanks!
I put the first four in, thinking it is likely to be correct. Closer to 0.034 instead, but no biggie.

Looked down at the piston heads. All four, so far, are dark/dirty/chunky looking. I have feeling the plugs might be original, or at least from an early change.

I had to use a mini-breaker bar to snap them loose. In reality, I should have used a 1/2 ratchet. The 3/8" didn't give me the bar length I needed. Dang, that's tight.

I'm not putting them in quite as tight, I suspect they just seized over time.

I have a feeling it's going to run MUCH better.

It's a beautiful engine, BTW. :cool:

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
After I responded I ran out and looked at a used set they appear to be around .045.
If the problem goes away you can continue the test and open the gap to .045.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
OK. Roger that.

Found that the (from the drivers seat) on the right side, the second last plug's ground lug (on block), the bolt hole was stripped! So the auxillary ground strap is not very good. Also, that plug was the dirtiest and it was almost loose compared to the others.

Thankfully, those german engineers think ahead, and the hole is threaded twice as far as what is actually used.

When the car went into limp mode two weeks ago, it was reported as being cyl. #3. which one is that?

Off to get a coffee..and that longer bolt.

With much alacrity. :1:

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Whoa! Car really moves now. Zero hesitation, massive power, in terms of the speed that it comes up at. Before, there was a hesitation like a cross between a clutch slipping and auto transmission gone bad. 'bad belts' kinda feel.

Like being blown out of a shotgun..just like it's supposed to be. :D

Met a cute lady too, at the starbucks/Indigo book store.

A good evening. Take 'em when you can get 'em.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Cool! to bad the coffee cost as much as the test. hiha

·
Registered
626 Posts
KBK

The cylinders are numbered from front (radiator) to back (firewall) first down the passenger side then restarting at the front to the back on the driver's side. #1 is closest to the dipstick, and #8 is closest to (the dipstick behind) the steering wheel.

The plug second-closest to the firewall on the pax side is #3, which is the one you said was loose, and the cylinder with the fault-code. Coincidence? I think not...

Cheers
JJ

·
10,458 Posts
i usually put a tiny bit of copper anti-seize on the plug threads, assuming i'll be the next one to remove them. Fresh plugs really make the car run better. I think the 4 prong plugs are to help coax them to 60k miles, 4 times the wear surface. I was told to use an ngk single electrode copper plug (i had written the plug number and gap on the wall above my workbench, but have since moved!) in an M50 525 that i had in the early/mid 90's by an old bmw mechanic, the car ran much better with the cheaper plug (it had twin electrode plugs oe), but they needed replacing at more reasonable intervals.
Mike

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
What side is the driver seat in the UK? :cheers:

:2:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
6spd said:
.035 will do fine for a quick test.
Next time your at the hardware store grab a box of those thin disposable gloves to keep the fingers clean.(look Ma! clean thumbs) :thumbsup:
Walgreen's sells 50 latex gloves for $4.99--and sometimes you can get them onsale 2 boxes for $4.99. Although I was too lazy to put them on a minute ago as I was just helping hubby fix one of the garage doors. But hey, maybe I like a real car person now ouich :D

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Thats a great deal on gloves, It always pays to wear them. You never know when you might end up at a social and want to have clean fingernails.
:confused3

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
6spd said:
Thats a great deal on gloves,
Oh, I actually managed to score a better price then you on something:hihi:

6spd said:
It always pays to wear them. You never know when you might end up at a social and want to have clean fingernails.
:confused3
Well they do have this annual fancy dress ball around here called the "Frosty Ball"--and no I'm not even going to touch that one :D :haha: :1:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts