BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok hope the pics uploaded OK. The plugs are only about 500 mile old. Plug 6 and 8 are alot dirty than the others. I'm trying to get to the bottom of this limp mod when it's at full power. It's bm3 mapped as well...

I also think the gasket is going at there was a little oil in the plug well..

Any idea why this is happening

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
577 Posts
Got pictures of your other plugs for comparison? Assuming those are Plugs 6 and 8 you are showing. Usually oil on plug sign of oil getting into the combustion chamber somehow. usually past rings or bad valve seals as far as I know.

·
Registered
577 Posts
kind of hard to tell from that photo. the modern engines I have, spark plugs are usually a tan/brown color from combustion. those look darker. how many miles on engine?

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Way too lean for my taste. And 2 are too rich. Since you've a tune revert to stock and drive for a few hundred miles. I'd bet it's a tune issue but no way to know for sure.

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
kind of hard to tell from that photo. the modern engines I have, spark plugs are usually a tan/brown color from combustion. those look darker. how many miles on engine?
It's only on 67k miles

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Way too lean for my taste. And 2 are too rich. Since you've a tune revert to stock and drive for a few hundred miles. I'd bet it's a tune issue but no way to know for sure.
How can you have too lean and too rich, surely it's one or another ?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
You have leaky injectors. Replace them before they bend a rod. Always best to replace the whole set.

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You have leaky injectors. Replace them before they bend a rod. Always best to replace the whole set.
How can you tell that. I keep getting different opinions from ppl and the injectors are a first

·
Registered
577 Posts
How can you tell that. I keep getting different opinions from ppl and the injectors are a first
a leaky injector may make you run rich, that may be why he is saying that. The s85 engine on the M version of the E60 series is known to get stuck open injectors, which will usually blow the entire engine. Not sure about the F10

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
a leaky injector may make you run rich, that may be why he is saying that. The s85 engine on the M version of the E60 series is known to get stuck open injectors, which will usually blow the entire engine. Not sure about the F10
Thanks for the reply. So from plug 8 in the pictures he is saying that injector is possible making it run rich on that cylinder hence lack.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So from plug 8 in the pictures he is saying that injector is possible making it run rich on that cylinder hence lack.
I really don't know. I think that is what he is saying. I would not have guessed that, but I'm no expert. Have you found the car harder to start in the morning? A leaky injector will leak down over night, causing you to lose fuel pressure, which means the car has to crank more in the morning, because the fuel is not sitting in the injector waiting to go. the fuel pump has to do a few extra cycles to get the fuel to the injectors.

If I were you, I'd look at the part numbers of the injectors and compare them with the E60 M5 w/ S85 engine. RealOEM website will help you do that with ease. If they are the same, I'd get to work replacing all the injectors. Its easy, and great preventive maintenance. Otherwise, I'd look around for your particular engine, find what cars have it, and see if they are known to have injector problems. As Flaco said, your tune could be off. If tune off, timing could be off, causing some cylinders not to fire at right time, or injectors to feed fuel at wrong time, not sure what a B3 tune is.

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really don't know. I think that is what he is saying. I would not have guessed that, but I'm no expert. Have you found the car harder to start in the morning? A leaky injector will leak down over night, causing you to lose fuel pressure, which means the car has to crank more in the morning, because the fuel is not sitting in the injector waiting to go. the fuel pump has to do a few extra cycles to get the fuel to the injectors.

If I were you, I'd look at the part numbers of the injectors and compare them with the E60 M5 w/ S85 engine. RealOEM website will help you do that with ease. If they are the same, I'd get to work replacing all the injectors. Its easy, and great preventive maintenance. Otherwise, I'd look around for your particular engine, find what cars have it, and see if they are known to have injector problems. As Flaco said, your tune could be off. If tune off, timing could be off, causing some cylinders not to fire at right time, or injectors to feed fuel at wrong time, not sure what a B3 tune is.
Thanks for that. Makes perfect sense what you said. Need to fine what is running the same engine or like you said the m5 e60 see if that runs the same.
The car starts perfect. Fires up straight away with no problem. As we all know these car can have a problem that triggers another and so on. Got a feeling this might be a long road to sorting it.

Got it back at the tuners tomorrow so i will get the diagnostics plugged in, this will check all the injectors and so on. So hopefully I will know more.

2 more car shows this Sunday after that I will take it of the road and go to town on the engine ...

The bm3 tune is bootmod3

·
Registered
577 Posts
Good luck! BTW - You may want to post some closer up looks at your plugs. Someone may come along and have another opinion. Also state how many miles on engine. I changed my plugs on my S85 and they were a tanish color. and clean of debris. that was with 36K on them.

·
Registered
Bmw f10 m5 2013
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good luck! BTW - You may want to post some closer up looks at your plugs. Someone may come along and have another opinion. Also state how many miles on engine. I changed my plugs on my S85 and they were a tanish color. and clean of debris. that was with 36K on them.
These are the igs the engine is on 67k miles now. Plugs were change about 500 miles ago..

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts