BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went down to my parent's place this weekend and on the way there I got a "Tire Defect" warning in the dash. The car was driving fine so I made it there without any problem. In the morning my dad said that my driver's side rear tire was looking a little flat. Found out there was a nail in the tire (looked like a roofing screw, actually) and got it plugged temporarily until I could change it out myself back at my home. When I started out, the car was driving fine but after 30 miles, it started to shake pretty badly. I stopped the car on the side of I-75, called a tow truck, and got my car towed back to my parents' place. Quick visual inspection looks like the inner sidewall of the tire totally buckled out, looks like golf balls trying to make their way out of the sidewall in different areas. Really weird, actually.

Making a long story a little shorter, my car is out of commission at my parents' place while I'm driving my dad's Cayenne S. The tow truck driver showed up and said "why don't you just put the spare on?" It doesn't have one, dang it!!

This is the second time this has happened in 5 years of ownership.. so not too big of a deal, but I wish I had a spare tire. Anyone buy warranties on their tires to protect against anything like this?

I ordered the tire from the Tire Rack, but their warehouse is out somewhere in Louisiana, so I'm not sure how long it will be for it to make it here since Hurricane Katrina seems to be wreaking havoc. The Cayenne is nice, but I'm not used to driving anything truck-like.. hopefully my tire makes it there soon.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I recall reading somewhere that BMW dealerships are required to have our size tires in stock because of this.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure how a warranty would protect against a tire failure ;) It will save you on the replacement, but the warranties are usually pro-rated over the life of the tire, and as you indicated, it doesn't happen very often.

The spare tire issue has come up a lot in the last few days. I just put new PS2s on my '00, and kept one of the old fronts, which weren't end-of-life. America's Tire Co guy says he can get me a generic wheel for $150, giving me a spare to keep around and take with me on trips. You can always use Roadside Assistance as well. Not optimal solutions, but workable.

·
Registered
326 Posts
when i was shopping for insurance online.

Progressive showed all the recalls and tbs's done for my year MY00.

one TSB i found interesting was. Factory tires on 00, not sure of others.
Tires were mounted from the factory with some machine that was too strong.
and stretched the tire's inner linner or something, causing catastrophic failures.

So it sounds like who ever mounted your tires.. over stretched them..
What kind of tires were they?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Tires usually have a warranty against mfg defects- the symptoms you describe might be due to internal delaminations and not a road hazard. Road hazard is the warranty you buy that will replace the tire for any damage.

The Mfg defect warrnty has different terms- some go for the life of the tire, others for the first x/32 of wear.

See for example:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Warra...rtnum=735ZR8SPORT&vehicleSearch=true&index=10

I've got an old front wheel and tire in my trunk as a spare. Once burnt, twice learnt. (60 mile flat bed tow at 11PM at night)

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
OK, since the trunk was not designed for a spare, who is working on the continental kit option??? hiha cherrsagai
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
E39 MFIVE said:
when i was shopping for insurance online.

Progressive showed all the recalls and tbs's done for my year MY00.

one TSB i found interesting was. Factory tires on 00, not sure of others.
Tires were mounted from the factory with some machine that was too strong.
and stretched the tire's inner linner or something, causing catastrophic failures.

So it sounds like who ever mounted your tires.. over stretched them..
What kind of tires were they?
They were the OEM Pilot Sports.. not PS2s.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts