BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Spare Tire...

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  lear 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm taking delivery of my M5 in August and I will occasionally be driving it to California. I really don't want to be reliant on roadside assistance if I get a flat, so I was planning on buying a spare tire to throw in the turnk for these extended trips.

Has anyone else done this before? And if so, what wheel/tire combo did you go with?

Thanks,
TheTooth

#2 ·
The obly problem i'd see with a spare is that you would need a different tire depending on which blew out. and They're directionalized tires, so you would, in effect, complicate the other ones by putting this one on. in all honesty, it might be better for you, your trunk, and the car if you just used the mobility kit / roadside assistance. then again, i hope that you never have a flat. would be a shame if you had to replace all 4 tires due to bad-temp job.

your call tho,
--Dan

#3 ·
I too did not want to place all my eggs in one basket counting on that mobility kit so I went out and bought a spare. I went with the 17" snow tire they sell since I knew this would clear the brakes. I also bought the jack and lug wrench for a regular 5 series. The rim, can't remember for sure, but was about $450. The jack was like 50. For the tire I bought a Michelin, size was 245/45. I did the math and it came out to be the minimal differential for the front and rear in terms of diameter, or radius times two! It is a one direction tire, who cares though for fifty miles or so. The BMW tech I talked to said it would be alright for use as a get you home, obviously not going to go and race with it. I have cut down on a majority of my luggage space though. I think it will all be worth it though if halfway across alligator alley one night I run over some endanged turtle and shred a tire. Hope that helps,

SCTH

#4 ·
Tooth,

How do you stow the spare? Is it just loose in your truck? Did you research after-market mini-spares first? I don't know if there is such a thing, but I was thinking about trying to find something that would clear brakes, keep the car at close the correct ride hight, but not be wide as a regular wheel/tire.

I don't want something to carry around all the time, just for when I'm going to be on the highway. Texas has too many remote places with no cell-phone coverage and possible road hazards. (Ever see what an armadillo can do to a tire?)

Rick

#5 ·
Hi Rick,

I don't currently stow the spare (or have my car... until August anyway), but I was planning on throwing it in the trunk for long drives through the desert. Lear is the only person to date that I know of who has a spare for this purpose, as stated in his earlier reply.

How about it Lear? Did you try to look for mini-spares or did you figure a full-size would be better for getting out of remote places?

- Jon (TheTooth)

P.S. Thanks for the earlier response, Lear. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only 'crazy' person who doesn't want to rely on the mobility kit.

Originally posted by rickw:
Tooth,

How do you stow the spare? Is it just loose in your truck? Did you research after-market mini-spares first? I don't know if there is such a thing, but I was thinking about trying to find something that would clear brakes, keep the car at close the correct ride hight, but not be wide as a regular wheel/tire.

I don't want something to carry around all the time, just for when I'm going to be on the highway. Texas has too many remote places with no cell-phone coverage and possible road hazards. (Ever see what an armadillo can do to a tire?)

Rick

#6 ·
Hey, Lear is not the only one who carries spare here. I do too. Quite a while ago, I posted spare tire issue on the previous board. Not much people seemed interested.
Just like Lear, I'd got 17inch BMW Winter rim and 235/45/17 Michelin tire(Actually, 245/40 is better choice- for me, 235 was much easier to get here) along with 540 jack and lug wrench. The tire I got was Michelin Pilot Sport(MXX3)-the older one- which is NOT directional. Yes, it can be used on left or right.
It does take lots of cargo space. Someone asked me "how're you gonna put golf clubs?" Luckily enough, my car has fold down option- if I fold driver side rear seat, I can put 3 golf bags(and of course 3People).
With a spare in the trunk, I feel much secured with long drive. :)

#7 ·
I was wondering is space your only reason for choosing the winter wheel? I was thinking of just using a front wheel as I am seriously considering upgrading the brakes and those require 18s. Also has anyone found any covers for the wheel tire to keep the trunk neat?
-Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.