BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that it is mighty poor to spend all this money for a car and it doesn't come with a spare tire. None of the M cars have spares. Is this due to the cost of the wheel or tire? It is not due to the different front vs. rear size, as my 911 C4 has an inflatable spare with compressor supplied. Of course with the Porsche once you take off the original wheel where do you put it if you have other stuff in the car? even though you are supplied with a plastic bag to put it in so you don't get the inside of the car dirty. If you get a flat in the M5 and damage a rim what is the availability of a new one? My friend had to wait a while to get a new one for his M Coupe. What do you do if you are not close enough to a BMW dealer during a trip for a long term fix?, rent a Ford?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thats is a good point. One of the reasons why i traded my M5 in for the E55 was due to the fact that you pay well over 70K for such a fine automobile and it lacks one of the most important safety features: the spare tire.

Not only does the E55 have a full spare in the trunk, it also weighs less than the M5 by 400 lbs!

Chalk this point to the Benz!

Cheers!

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Paul,

Do you have any pics of your E55? Also, how is the handling and suspension on the E55?
I had a E430 for a while, but the handling and suspension was really bad.

Chuck

·
Registered
306 Posts
The E55 is very responsive at high speed *totally* different from a regular E class. You have to drive one to see the big difference.

I can take some pictures of the E55 interior and email them to you. I personally prefer the looks of the M5 interior but the volume of the E55 (front and rear).

As Larry pointed out, the E55 has this wonderful dual personality. There is one thing about the 2000 E55's interior I like more than the M5 - the seats. They allow you to power inflate or deflate the side bolsters. For relaxed highway driving, you can make the seat a little wider but for aggressive cornering, you can have all the side support you need!

·
Registered
73 Posts
re: "none of the M cars come with a spare tire"

I know the M5's don't, but my '95 M3 came with a full-sized spare.

The reason I heard why the M5 doesn't have a spare is that between moving the battery to the back and the routing of the dual exhaust, there wasn't enough room to store a spare that would still be big enough in diameter to clear the huge brake rotors.

Dunno if that's true, but it makes more since than BMW pinching pennies on a car that people are willing to pay $10-20k over sticker for.

Rick
'95 M3
'00 M5

·
Registered
9 Posts
So...Are there any major changes in the 2001 E55? I'm thinking of either purchasing one or just modify my E430. Eric, if you were me, what would you do?

Chuck

·
Registered
306 Posts
Chuck, upgrading the E430 or buying the 2001 E55?

Perhaps we should continue the conversation at the Mercedes board, there are others there who would know more about the 2001 E class improvements than I do.
http://www.mercedesshop.com

But anyway, for driving pleasure, I would pick the 2001 E55 if you can get hold of one, the performance gain (brakes, acceleration, handling) over the E430 is just *very* significant, just like the M5 is that much better than a 540i.

Even if you pour lots of money into the E430 for the upgrade to bring it to the specs of the E55, as far as the resale value is concerned, the E55 would hold far better than a tuned/upgraded E430. I find that modifications on a car while may enhance the performance, usually you have to take a big lost when selling the car later on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To RickW's point: It's the dual exhaust that deletes the tire. I was in the factory Tuesday and saw an M Coupe getting the exhaust installed. I asked the question and you are right...no room. i think they could manage it, but the inflation kit was too easy an alternative rather than redesign the metal frame. If the runflats get destroyed, we'll be parking an expensive car on the freeway! And too, I guess they figure with BMW Roadside Assistance you can call a flatbed and have it delivered to the nearest BMW dealer.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Originally posted by one2000m5:
If the runflats get destroyed, we'll be parking an expensive car on the freeway!
Does the M5 come with Run Flats? I was planning on buying a spare tire to throw in the trunk on long trips to solve the "no spare tire" problem, but if it has run-flats I probably don't need to worry.

(Sorry, I have no manual because I don't take delivery until August)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts