BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody found a spare mini wheel for any possible flats...I know there's the portable air compressor in the trunk and I've seen online that there's
A spare on a few sites for $400 but does anybody have a cheaper alternative....???

Much thanks...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Has anybody found a spare mini wheel for any possible flats...I know there's the portable air compressor in the trunk and I've seen online that there's
A spare on a few sites for $400 but does anybody have a cheaper alternative....???

Much thanks...
I have had a heck of a time trying to find a reliable, economical alternative to that darned "M Mobility" setup for my beast. I am about ready to just buy a 19" spare some place and sacrifice some of the trunk room. I just don't feel comfortable with a small airpump/sealant setup(which is what I run at present).

·
Registered
690 Posts
Reactions: Benzin

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
It needs to have the same diameter as the stock tires otherwise you will get DSC errors on the i drive. The front brake calipers are another issue also. I purchased a full size M5 wheel (front, I think a 265/40) since the rear wheel dimension (285/35) will not fit on the front. I just throw it in the trunk when I take long trips. If you look around, you can find used rims and tires on eBay and around the web, I think the whole setup cost me $400. That's a factory M5 wheel and a used Michelin PS2

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
391 Posts
I did (when I had my M5) what MarkieM5 does - buy an additional front, which you could use on the back if you had to. Just remember you will need a wrench and a jack too! This takes up more trunk space that you would think.

Funny this topic came up now - I was talking to my wife a couple of days ago about the same thing with the her '13 F10 M-Sport 535i. That car has run flats (no spare & staggered) - no M Mobility weirdness.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Just picked up a 428 for my wife and again, no spare. I have to say, I'm not a big fan of the run flats for long trips. There's nothing like having a full size spare. It is true though, when I throw the M5 spare, jack and other gear in the trunk, there's not much room left.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It needs to have the same diameter as the stock tires otherwise you will get DSC errors on the i drive. The front brake calipers are another issue also. I purchased a full size M5 wheel (front, I think a 265/40) since the rear wheel dimension (285/35) will not fit on the front. I just throw it in the trunk when I take long trips. If you look around, you can find used rims and tires on eBay and around the web, I think the whole setup cost me $400. That's a factory M5 wheel and a used Michelin PS2

Bumping an old thread.. just wondering if you ever had success with using the full size front as a spare tire? my biggest worry is the downtime with getting a tow nowadays.. I'm just not sure if the front will fit in the rear... can anyone verify? I'm not too knowledgable on wheels :/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts