BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a spare key last week from VOB BMW in MD and I had it programmed for my car by a service rep . I then immeadiately started using the new one to charge it and everything was fine.

The next day I picked up the old one by mistake and then unlocked the car fine, put the key in the ignition, went to position 1 then 2, all looks good (NAV on, radio playing) but when I put my foot on the clutch and turn to position 3 to start the car, I got nothing at all. I was so baffled and could believe it so I ended up trying like 6 times just to be sure.

When I looked it was the old key not the new one (i am sure of this, the wear on the old one it noticeable). The new key works fine with no problem but the old ones does everything but start the car.

I went back to the dealer and got the service rep and asked him if by reprogramming it did it mess the old one up. He started to panic and say I didn't do anything and started giving me the run around, saying "are you sure one of my guys worked on your car". I then told him "no you did like 2 days ago". What a clown. Anyway any idea on what this is. Car still under warranty so I am sure any repair will be free. But how does this just happen I was using that key for like 2 &1/2 weeks since I got my M with no problem.

Could the reprogram of the new key throw off the old one ? The service rep said it might be a faulty ignition or a bad key. I completely doubt either of these.

The service rep also said thyat when he reprograms keys it is only for remote features nothing more. This sounds beleivable but doesn't solve my problem

Late

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Check out your manual... it says how to reprogram them.. the first one is done a certain way then the 2nd one is done slightly different.

might be something to do with that?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts