BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Advice please!

My recently bought 1994 E34 M5 came with just one key, it's fitted with the BMW 3G alarm system but the remote is missing too. What's involved and what's the rough cost of getting a spare key and replacing and activating the remote(s)?

For the key - blanks can be got from eBay for like a tenner, but i'm concerned about getting the 'worm' style cut done as i don't think every 'shoe and key' shop does this tyre of cutting. What's the proceedure and cost for one key from a BMW dealer, i'm imagining they'll need the VIN and proof of ownership (and no i don't have the tag with the key serial numbers that you often get when the car is new either!). Cost i'm imagining £30-50 or more per key??

As for the remote - i saw a magazine article whereby they bought the remote from BMW for about £34, it was coded by removing the alarm control box from behind the glove compartment and flicking a switch to 'learn mode'. Another article on the net said it could be done by holding the new remote close to the LED on top of the dash and turning the ignition on/off in sync etc? Is either of these the correct course, as i can get a remote again off eBay for £20 or so, what would BMW charge to supply and code one of these things (must admit i'm not keen to start taking apart the dash and raking behind the glovebox...)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,
David.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I bought a spare key for my 3.8 last year, and it was indeed about £30. For that you get a proper chunky 'M' logo key though.
I needed my V5 to prove that I own the car, and 2 forms of ID like a passport and driving license. You also have to pay in advance for it using a credit/debit card I think. A bit of a pain in the ***, but reassuring to know that its impossible to obtain a key if you don't own the vehicle :nono:

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a similiar situation. My only key has two buttons. One is circular with BMW Roundel and the other button is more rectangular. The round activates and the smaller one deactivates the alarm. Bad news is my dealer is telling me the replacement is unavailable, but that it can be replaced with the standard key with no alarm provisions. Basically useless. Good luck as I am also continuing my search.

Greg

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
BreakerBacker said:
I have a similiar situation. My only key has two buttons. One is circular with BMW Roundel and the other button is more rectangular. The round activates and the smaller one deactivates the alarm. Bad news is my dealer is telling me the replacement is unavailable, but that it can be replaced with the standard key with no alarm provisions. Basically useless. Good luck as I am also continuing my search.
Greg
-
[email protected] that sounds very strange to me, the new car comes with 4 keys,
the keys not in posession must be deactived (without a BMW-certificate
that this was done you will not get a BMW M5 -insured- in Sweden) -
any NEW key -must- be 'actived' by a dealer, if you have a remote alarm fitted to the car the 'stealer' must be able to provdie a 'spare' key, anything
else wud surprise me, try to sent an e-mail directly to BMW AG Munich resp.
tell your 'stealer' to use the 'parts-hot-line' to get (hopefully) a proper answer
as to what your options are, good luck :byebye:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts