BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm failing at search and can't seem to find what I'm looking for here...so I thought I'd start a new thread over the topic.

I've wanted to throw on some H&R spacers for a while now (10mm rear, 15mm front)

Heard a few concerns here and there regarding the negative effects from adding spacers and wanted a more educated opinion from board members here. Aside from improving the look by widening the stance, what are the pros and cons of installing spacers. If there is any inherent risk to the integrity of the car I'd like to know before making a decision.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,703 Posts
They will put more stress on your wheel bearings, since the wheels are mounted further away and thus have more leverage. A bad spacer could also give you vibrations.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
If you must, stick to hubcentric to avoid the vibrations that firebird mentioned. Many times, they are necessary in order to clear suspension components or larger brake kits. However, they may also make your tires rub against your fenders. This depends on the car (every car has tiny variations) as well as the design of your tire. Yes, I said design, not size. Some 275mm tires will rub while other 275s will not.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They will put more stress on your wheel bearings, since the wheels are mounted further away and thus have more leverage. A bad spacer could also give you vibrations.

This was my main assumption and is also my biggest concern...would you advise against them for this reason? My long term plan is to run 9.5's in the front to improve the stance. Spacers are a short term solution, but if I risk major damage it's not worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I've wanted to throw on some H&R spacers for a while now (10mm rear, 15mm front)

Heard a few concerns here and there regarding the negative effects from adding spacers and wanted a more educated opinion from board members here. Aside from improving the look by widening the stance, what are the pros and cons of installing spacers. If there is any inherent risk to the integrity of the car I'd like to know before making a decision.
Great timing on this post! Thanks!

I have read quite a few posts on this on the board on spacers - I am wanting to go the same path as you JCM5's (in fact I just goy my 2 front 9.5's back from refinishing and picked up some H&R 10mm spacers). I THINK the the consensus is 3mm on the front and 10mm on the rears to even out the stance of the square setup - which confuses me cause I want to think that a "square" setup would be just that?

I would love to hear what folks are running - and WHY you are running that way. Causal data relative to wheel bearing/suspension failure would also be outstanding!

Mike

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've run spacers for years on street cars and our autocross E30 but I wouldn't feel comfortable running them on an e39 destined for the track.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
To ensure proper spacer fitment on our cars, ensure the spacer is hubcentric and that you run the proper extended lug bolt size (or, stud conversion).

mkaehly: When running 4 OEM rears, square often refers to having equal tire width and wheels all around, independent of spacer sizing.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I've run spacers for years on street cars and our autocross E30 but I wouldn't feel comfortable running them on an e39 destined for the track.

Yeah I don't really have any intentions of tracking my beast, but I do enjoy some spirited drives from time to time.

I just want a more aggressive looking stance.

It sounds like this is safe assuming I use the proper components....

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Yeah I don't really have any intentions of tracking my beast, but I do enjoy some spirited drives from time to time.

I just want a more aggressive looking stance.

It sounds like this is safe assuming I use the proper components....
You will be fine, J. Especially considering the fact I know you won't be running any type of huge spacer, you'll be fine. ;)

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I had run my car with OEM 9.5's and 275's all around for approx. 2 years and 16,000 miles. I ran 3mm spacers up front then added the 10mm spacer to the rear to give the combo a more aggresive look. Never an issue and the combo looks VERY nice IMHO. I agree however on the variance/rub based on tire manufacturer. I have run Michelin Pilots in the back with the 10's and now run Hankook V12's on the back with the 10's....No problem. I will note, that the spring package also needs to come into play. Stock package or Dinan strut springs doesnt rub...B & G springs do. It has to do with the spring being progressive or not.

I have tracked my car a few times adn again had no issues. However, I am not a track rat and cannot speak as to whether the combo is the best for handling. My car I believe, handles AWESOME.

Good Luck

Reactions: M55555

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You will be fine, J. Especially considering the fact I know you won't be running any type of huge spacer, you'll be fine. ;)
Planning on 10mm rear, 15mm front. Is 15mm pushing it? I think I'd be content with 10mm front and rear if it's the wiser choice...

I'll have Bilstein Pss9 put on in the coming months, if I have any rubbing issues after that then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Planning on 10mm rear, 15mm front. Is 15mm pushing it? I think I'd be content with 10mm front and rear if it's the wiser choice...

I'll have Bilstein Pss9 put on in the coming months, if I have any rubbing issues after that then I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
15mm is perfectly fine. If you're running OEM front wheels, you won't get any rubbing with the PSS9, especially since you won't be slammed. What I might suggest is holding off on the spacers until after the PSS9. Once you get the height you want to keep, measure the distance between the tire and the fender to get the best wheel fitment.

Reactions: JCM55555

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
A recurring issue on the board that rivals even that of "what oil I should I use"! Bottom line is that spacers are fine on the E39 M5. E55AMG2 uses 20+mm spacers on the front in order to squeeze 275 R compounds on the front (the actual width of which measure out around 305mm) and regularly tracks his car. I don't know of even one instance in which a board member experienced failure on the track with an E39 M5 as a result of using spacers.

Make sure the spacer is hubcentric, and use the smallest spacer you can get away with. You'll be fine.

--Peter

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Peter....always appreciate your knowledge and input.

I was reluctant to start a new thread on the subject but I was failing at search and couldn't find a concise answer.

A recurring issue on the board that rivals even that of "what oil I should I use"! Bottom line is that spacers are fine on the E39 M5. E55AMG2 uses 20+mm spacers on the front in order to squeeze 275 R compounds on the front (the actual width of which measure out around 305mm) and regularly tracks his car. I don't know of even one instance in which a board member experienced failure on the track with an E39 M5 as a result of using spacers.

Make sure the spacer is hubcentric, and use the smallest spacer you can get away with. You'll be fine.

--Peter

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks Peter....always appreciate your knowledge and input.

I was reluctant to start a new thread on the subject but I was failing at search and couldn't find a concise answer.
n00b! BAN! jk. Great thread ;)

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
For some reason I thought you were building your car for track duty. If you're just looking at street use I'd say go for it. 15mm is roughly .6 inches...not exactly a massive change.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For some reason I thought you were building your car for track duty. If you're just looking at street use I'd say go for it. 15mm is roughly .6 inches...not exactly a massive change.

Subtlety's can make a big difference... 15mm in the front should provide just the look I'm going for, especially once I get my Pss9 kit

Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Subtlety's can make a big difference... 15mm in the front should provide just the look I'm going for, especially once I get my Pss9 kit

Thanks everyone for your help!
Oh I agree 100%...that's why I've run spacers in the past. My point was that .6" isn't going to cause some monumental mechanical failure to happen overnight. :D

Looking forward to pics of the improved offsets!

1 - 20 of 85 Posts